Monday, August 27, 2012

Newsletter August 27-31

Our first full week of school is complete.  My students are starting to get used to a full-day of school, even though, I still hear, "when is it time to go home?" throughout the afternoon. Thanks to those of you that have sent snacks for our morning break.  It really helps with the transition to a full-day of school.  I still have several days available if you would like to help with snacks so let me know if you can help and I can assign you a day.

I hope you were able to see your child's spelling test in their homework folder today.  Most of my students did very well.  You will find spelling words for this week in your child's homework folder today.  Please help your child study these words for our test on Friday.  Next, week I will start including a dictation sentence as part of their spelling list.  This sentence will come home with the spelling words next week.

Today I checked my students knowledge on our first sight word list.  Only three students were able to pass off the words.  I don't pass them off, if they are trying to sound out the word or if it takes them too long to generate it.  Please help them practice their sight words at home.  I will test again this Friday, and this will be part of their grade.  It is SO important that your child learn these words, and most need individual help at home to master them.

Today we wrote about what we wanted to learn about in first grade.  I had some cute answers--belts, porcupines, how orange juice and milk are made, and even why moths have dusty stuff on their wings.  I hope I can answer some of those questions this year, along with improving your child's reading and writing abilities.  We have been learning about weather, and are using weather words.  In the next few weeks we will continue with weather, but add seasons into the mix.

Please continue to read with your child each night for 20 minutes.  The first reading calendar (the one with suns on it) is due on September 4.

I so enjoy your children!!  They are delightful.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment