Monday, December 10, 2012

Newsletter December 10-14

Thanks for those that looked over their child's grade print out.  A few if you contacted me with changes that needed to be made, and those have been taken care of.  Remember that the quarter ends on the Friday that we return home from Christmas break.  Our class DIBELS test will be Tuesday, January 14.  I will contact parents after that date, if your child needs some more reading intervention according to that test.

Some of you have asked about the math Quick-checks and also our math tests.  They come home with a score, but all of the answers are correct.  Let me clarify what happens.  The quick-checks, I call them "mini-tests", are graded and then some of my SUU practicum students help the students correct their errors.  It is one-on-one, immediate feedback.  I have the students take those home, but keep the original grade.  The same for Math Topic tests.  I grade them, but have corrections made, and keep the original score.  Next semester, I may not have as many SUU students helping out, so this may not be occurring as often. Thanks for helping your child with their math homework each night.  I will finish up topic 5 in math early next week, and test next Wednesday before Christmas break.

Today I sent home a note about our Gingerbread house party on Thursday, December 20.  Please read that and let me know if you can help out that day.  It is impossible for me to carry that off without  help. Thanks also to those of you that have sent $1.00 for our "secret" Christmas gift.  We will work on those this week.

We have read and mapped out The Gingerbread Man and The Gingerbread Cowboy. In the next couple of weeks we will also read The Gingerbread Girl and Gingerbread Boy Goes to School.  The students will then write an opinion paper about their favorite Gingerbread story.  Today we finished our Christmas Tree poems that go along with our Christmas tree art that is displayed outside of our classroom. 

Today  we will also finish our moon phase unit by creating the moon phases out of Oreo cookies. I will take some pictures of the event and post them next week.

One more thing, now that it is getting colder, we have many coats or jackets that are left at school.  The lost and found is overflowing.  If your child is missing a coat, please have them check in the lost and found.  Sometimes a grown-up is needed to help find the missing coat.  Our lost and found is in the lunchroom and right now it is spread out on the stage steps. You are welcome to come and help your child find their coat before of after school.

I love being surrounded by your wonderful children at this exciting time of year!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment