Monday, April 22, 2013

Newsletter April 22-25

We practiced for our little program today.  Remember that all of the first grade classes will perform this Wednesday, April 24th at 10:15 a.m. in the gym.  We are also performing at 9:15a.m., but the awards for the 1st graders are during the 10:15 time.

We had a great time at the Natural history museum last Thursday.  We had a tree tour,  looked at fascinating plants in the greenhouses, and the highlight, was being able to touch Screeching Cockroaches, a Bearded Dragon, an Iguana, and a Ball Python.  This Thursday is Bard's Birthday Bash.  We will be walking to SUU again.  We will leave here at 12:20p.m. and return before 3:00p.m.  A few of my students have not turned in their permission slips, please do so ASAP.  If any of you would like to accompany us on this field trip please let me know. 

Today I gave my kids a package of smarties supplied by the SUU student that is conducting a research project on reading.  I asked them if they were reading and filling out the calendar she provided .  I reminded them that the class that reads the most minutes will receive a pizza party.  Several of my students looked at me with blank faces.  I have mentioned several times in my blog that my reading record will be her calendar for this month.  I hope that you are reading and recording those minutes for her project and for your child's grade.  We still have about 3 1/2 weeks left for your child to complete the 100-book challenge.  The final day that I will accept book lists is Friday, May 17th.  Justin reached 80 books today, and Jacob and Kaden have both reached 85 books!  I can really tell who is doing this challenge their reading has improved tremendously!

Our DIBELS test (end of the year reading assessment) will be Monday, May 13th in the morning.  I thought it would be fun to make my students pancakes that morning before they are tested.  If any of you would like to donate a bottle of syrup let me know. Please make sure that you child is well rested the night before and continue to practice sight words, nonsense words, or repeated readings with your child.  

Tomorrow I am testing on Topic 12 in math and will also start Topic 13 which is a unit on time.  I will also have my high school helpers start testing all students that have not passed off Sight Word Lists #8 and #9 starting this Wednesday.

In science we are continuing to learn about plants, but will move to animal life cycles the first part of May.  We will learn about the frog life cycle, the butterfly life cycle, and the life cycle of a chicken.  We will even experience the life cycle of a chicken starting May 1st.  That is when our eggs and incubator arrives!

We have a classroom set of ipods now!  Thanks immensely to Kristy Terry for helping me organize and put all of my listening library onto iTunes.  I am excited that this class will be able to use these ipods for the remaining few weeks.  They will be using them especially during our literacy block, listening to books, and using educational apps that support their learning. 

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment