Monday, February 8, 2016

Newsletter February 8 - February 12

Here we go again--hopefully this time I can actually publish this newsletter.  It was so nice to visit with most of you during SEP conferences last week.  I still need to catch a couple of you :)  SEP conferences are not the only time that I will meet with you personally.  If you ever want to meet with me please feel free to contact me and we can meet anytime.

This is going to be a busy week--Here are a few highlights:


  • We are still a bit behind with our Chapter 7 math schedule.  Today we just completed Lesson 7.4.  Our math packet will be due next Tuesday, February 16, instead of the date on the original schedule.  The test for Chapter 7 will also be on that date.
  • This Friday, February 12 we now have an assembly at 2:50.  The Playmakers theater group from SUU will present that assembly.  Our Valentine's Day party time will need to change due to that assembly.  We will now have our party from 2:00-2:40 that day.  I have decided that it will be easier to decorate bags that I will buy from Wal-Mart (gift bags) rather than cover the cans.  I will still need decorating items for the bags (stickers, ribbon etc.)  If you can help with decorating items please send those by this Wednesday, February 10.  If you would like to send $1.00 to cover the bags that would be helpful too, but not necessary since I didn't warn you in advance.  We will decorate cookies during the party also.  Thank you to Jayleigh's mom for already sending some items for the cookies.  I will e-mail those that signed up to help with our Valentine's Day party at Back-to-School night to either help during the party or to send some cookie items.  If you didn't sign up and would still like to help, I'd love to have you.  I can use help as the children decorate cookies and also help as they hand out their Valentine's day cards. Let me know if you'd like to come and help.  Remember that we have 25 students in our class and if you child brings Valentine cards or treats to please bring one for every student.  I sent home a list of students last Monday.
  • On Thursday, the Red Butte Garden outreach program will be visiting our classroom.  They will be presenting the first lesson in a series of lessons about a plant's life cycle.  We will also start learning about other life cycles this week in preparation for our Science Expo.  The science expo will be next Friday, February 19.  Parents are invited to visit our classroom from 2:00-2:45  (open house style) and observe what we have been learning about life cycles.  
  • Sam and Rieley have already started reading books towards our 100-book challenge.  Today I told all of my students about the challenge.  Remember that I sent home a letter with a recording sheet as well as explained it quickly to you at your SEP conference.  If your child reads their take-home book every school night (which they should be doing anyway), they will easily be able to reach the 100-book goal by May 20th. 
  • This Thursday we will be back to our regular library day.  Make sure that you child returns their books so that during library time they can pick out new books.  Look for those books that have been lost and return them by Thursday. 
Have a wonderful 3-day weekend and Valentine's Day!! I love teaching first grade and love this class of mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment