Monday, November 14, 2016

Newsletter November 14 - November 18

I told you that Thanksgiving would be here before we knew it.  This is our last full week until Thanksgiving Break.  We will continue to work up until the break.  We will have a little Thanksgiving activity on Tuesday afternoon (of next week), but will have regular reading instruction and reading groups up until the break.

Here are the happenings in our class this week:

  • Scholastic book orders were sent home today.  They will be due this Friday, November 18.  If any of you want me to hold or save anything for Christmas let me know.  I will also send home December issues at the beginning of December so that you can get your orders before Christmas.  The best and easiest way to order is to use the code and to order online.
  • We are are already mid-way through the second quarter.  I will work on grades this week and send home a power school print out on Thursday.  If you have any questions about those grades please send back the printout with notes made or send me an e-mail.  Remember that take-home books counts at 5 points each day.
  • Our second spelling test is tomorrow, November 14.  A number of my students need a bit more practice at home ( you can tell by last week's score).  You can work on those spelling words for part of your 10 minutes of reading time (just read the take-home book once and practice the spelling words for example).  
  • The PTA has generously supported an online reading program called Raz Kids or Kids A-Z.  I will send home a note this week explaining how your child can access that program at home (I know some of you have already figured that out).  We are doing that as part of our reading groups here in class and it would be a nice extension and more reading that your child can do at home.  Watch for the note by the end of the week.  I will send a text letting you know when I have sent that home.
  • In reading, we have moved from "Different Lands, Same Stories" to "Early World Civilizations".  We will especially concentrate on the ancient civilizations of Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt.  Today we dove in and learned about the importance of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers and how the Mesopotamian people used canals and reservoirs in order to harness that important water source.  We also discussed how they used the rivers as a source of trade and drew and wrote about something that we would be willing to trade.  I loved the great ideas! Ask your child to show you their drawing and writing (it's in their folder or backpack).
  • For our Thanksgiving activity we will make "turkey cookies" out of Oreos and have a little lesson on the first thanksgiving and create a memory bracelet as we tell the story.  I would love some help during the cookie construction. I will e-mail those who signed up to help with the Thanksgiving party at Back to School night and ask for donations and/or help, but I could use as much help as I can get :)  If you are willing to help please send me a quick e-mail and I will give you an assignment.  Thank you!!!!  We will have that "party" on Tuesday, November 22 at 2:00 ish.   
At this time of year, we are more apt to count our blessings and I am grateful for the opportunity I have to teach your children.  Thanks for all that you do to support me!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment