Monday, December 12, 2016

Newsletter December 12 - December 16

This is our final full week of school during 2016.  When we return in January our third quarter will be starting and I just signed up for our Middle of the Year (MOY) DIBELS testing on January 12.  Thanks for encouraging your students to not bring toys to school as they will become my property since it has become such a problem ("toys" are anything that can become a distraction in school).

Here are this week's happenings:

  • I have had 6 wonderful parents (or grandparents) volunteer to help with our Gingerbread houses on Monday, December 19 at 12:45. We will go with that full steam ahead.  If you haven't informed me that you would like to come and would still like to just let me know.  We can have more than 5--that was just my minimum number of helpers that I need.  I would imagine that we will finish that activity around 2:00-2:15 (just to give you an idea how long I'll need your assistance).  THANK YOU for volunteering and thank you for sending in items to help with the construction and decorating.  If you haven't sent something in to help please send it by this Friday, December 16.  
  • I sent home spelling words today.  The test will be this Friday, December 16.  The words follow the patterns that we have been learning about in class (/ar/, /er/, /oi/, and /aw/ along with a "tricky" word.  I will not send home new spelling words next week, but look for new ones when we return in January.  We don't have spelling words every week and don't have a set day for spelling tests.
  • We have decided to forgo our Christmas Around the World because of so many other activities that are taking it's place (movie, assembly with a special visitor, gingerbread houses, the dual immersion has a program etc.).  Check out the schedule on the sidebar of this blog for the exact days we will be doing certain activities.  I will continue to have reading groups and even give our Chapter 6 math test on Monday, December 19 so we will work amidst the "fun". 
  • Thanks to those that have helped their child earn $1.00 for their "secret gift".  We started those today.  If you haven't helped your child find a way to earn their $1.00 you still have time--some kids were worried that they hadn't brought their dollar.  I just think helping to "earn" their gift makes it much more meaningful (as I've mentioned several times before). I will send those home with your child by the end of this week.  
  • As I mentioned above, we will work hard and finish chapter 6 in math before we go home for the holiday.  Today we continued to work with two-digit numbers by identifying the tens and ones.  We modeled those numbers with ten rods and ones, then "drew" numbers, and then identified the tens and ones and then the corresponding number with a given picture.
  • In reading we are still working with the "bossy R" letter combinations (/er/,/ar/, and will learn /or/). I am hoping to finish up our unit on Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt before the break (might be wishful thinking).  
  • If you ordered books from Scholastic for Christmas I will let you know when they arrive and then leave them in the office so that you can pick them up at your convenience.    
Happy Holiday Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment