Monday, January 9, 2017

Newsletter January 9 - January 13

We will not have reading intervention groups for the next two weeks due to DIBELS testing (basically a reading test).  I continue to have small group reading groups in my classroom though and did that today with my students so they aren't missing out on small group reading instruction for two weeks.  Our test time is scheduled for this Thursday morning, January 12 at 10:00 a.m.  Please make sure your child is well-rested and has a good breakfast that morning.  If you child is sick though, please don't send them because of the test, they will be taken individually sometime during that two-week window for testing.

Here are this week's happenings:

  • I was hoping that I would get another high school helper this semester, but I haven't received one yet.  That means I need help with our "Sight Word Soldiers" program.  I had my high school helper last semester keep up with that.  I need a parent volunteer to come in and test my students, help them choose a bead for their necklace and get them another list to take home.  I could use you in the morning or the afternoon, but weekly would be helpful.  If you feel that you could spare some time in your week and help with this please let me know.  Mastering sight words is crucial in creating fluent readers.  I think this program is motivating and helpful, but I need some help implementing it.  
  • I didn't get the Power school grade print out finished yet.  I will send a remind text when I get it done.  I am almost finished, I just need to get the points in for reading take-home books. I am crossing my fingers that I will get that sent home by this Wednesday.  I am sorry for the delay.  
  • The math unit that we are on (Chapter 7, Comparing Numbers) is relatively short.  We will finish up our last lesson in the chapter tomorrow (ten less and ten more), review and will test on Friday.  Sometimes the ten less, ten more concept is a bit difficult for some to grasp.  If I find that the case with this class, I will review one more day and test on Monday.  
  • We just finished up with our last informational "story" about King Tut.  My kids were very entertained with learning about what was found in King Tut's tomb.  Ask them what was found and who found it (hope they use the word archaeologist). 
  • We are almost to the 100th day of school.  This year the 100th day falls on Friday, January 20.  I will send home a little 100th day "homework project" and information about dressing up that day.  Watch for that note and homework assignment.  This will be a  fun day in first grade!  
  • The PTA is asking for Box Tops to be collected and turned in by January 31.  You can, of course, turn them in anytime during the year, but the class that has the most turned in by the end of January will win an ice cream party.  
  • Remember our brief First Grade awards program will be tomorrow, January 10 at 3:00 in the cafeteria.  I sent e-mails out to those that will be receiving an award at that program.  You are welcome to attend, but be on time because, like I mentioned, it's brief and I wouldn't want you to miss your child's award.  
  • Spelling words will be sent home tomorrow.  This time they will included the past-tense marker /ed/ that we have been learning about.  These words are not "easy" and may require some extra study at home.  The test will be on Tuesday, January 17.  
  • Don't forget that next Monday, we will not have school in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  Next week we will have some learning discussions and activities centered around Dr. King.  
Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment