Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Newsletter December 11 - December 15

It's our last full week of December before we dismiss for the Christmas break.  Remember that we have school through Wednesday, December 20 (dismiss at 1:30) and that school will resume on Tuesday, January 2.  The end of the second quarter is December 20.  I really planned on getting a Power School print out sent home last Friday, but alas that hasn't happened.  Give me until this Friday and watch for it in your child's backpack. 

We took our middle-of-the-year DIBELS test on Monday morning.  I will send those results home as soon as they become available.  If I have a specific concern about your child's results I will send you an e-mail.  If you have questions about those results please don't hesitate to contact me.  I am happy to e-mail or meet in person to discuss your child's progress.

Here are this week's happenings:
  • Spelling words were sent home on Monday. The test will be this Friday, December 15.  Remember that we do not have a traditional schedule for spelling words where we would have a test every Friday.  The tests are five days after they are given out and that varies with the curriculum.  I will always tell you here in the blog when the tests are and when the words have been sent home.  We will not have another list of words until after the break.
  • I have started receiving supplies for our Gingerbread House activity.  THANK YOU!  Please help by having those supplies delivered by Monday, Dec. 18.   We will decorate our houses on Tuesday, Dec. 19 at 10:15.  I have two parents that have volunteered to help.  I need 2 more to help on that day.  If you can help please let me know so that I can make plans.  
  • The afternoon of December 19 will be our Polar Express movie with Mrs. Carter's class.  Students can wear pajamas that day--come to school dressed in them :). Please make sure your child wears appropriate shoes as we will have PE that morning before the Gingerbread houses and movie. 
  • Thanks also for helping your child earn $1.00 for a secret gift.  We will use this week to work on those.  I will send this fragile secret gift home with your child on Friday.  It gets a bit hectic the last few days so feel that sending it home a bit earlier will be best. 
  • Our learning in reading these past few lessons as centered around "r-controlled" vowels (ar, er, or).  We have reviewed the sounds and the spellings for those sounds. Our book "The Green Fern Zoo" is filled with words with those spellings.  
  • In our Early American Civilizations unit we have started learning about the Mayan people.  We have learned about their farming and cities (maize and Bakaal) and the importance of family to the Mayan people.  Today Elizabeth and Reese excitedly told me at break; "We are playing like the Mayans". 
  • In math we are still working on related facts or Fact Families.  I think most of my students are starting or have already grasped that important relationship between addition and subtraction.  (ex. 9 + 6 = 15, 6 + 9 = 15, 15 - 6 = 9, and 15 - 9 = 6)
  • If your child has an over due library book notices will sent home this week.  
  • The PTA reading awards will be presented this Thursday (Dec. 14) at 3:00 in our classroom.  I sent home slips yesterday if you child will be receiving an award that day. 
One last Christmas idea--students in my class can have markers (this was an optional school supply from the beginning of the year).  Most students have them to access in their desk, but I could honestly say I think that ALL students would like them.  We use them for birthday writing, sometimes with other writing, and they especially use them during "free time" in the morning before the bell rings.  If you need another gift idea, maybe a package of markers for school would be a nice idea :). Just an idea, not a requirement.

With a short week next week, I don't think that I will post a newsletter so here's wishing you a wonderful Christmas break. Take-home books will not be sent home over the break.  We'll be back January 2 for the first day of our third quarter! 

Happy Holidays and Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment