Monday, February 25, 2019

Newsletter February 25 - March 1

I'm finally back after being sick all week--that one was a doozy!  It was nice to be back with my class--I missed them very much. 

Here are this week's happenings:

  • This week is the PTA "Read Across America" week.  I sent home another reminder flyer today of dress up opportunities and activities during the week.  Especially note "Parents and Pastries" on Wednesday morning from 7:45-8:45 in the cafeteria.  Please note though that teachers are not expected to be in the building until 8:20 so please make sure that you child is accompanied by an adult before sending them to their classrooms. 
  • Our spelling test will be this Thursday, your child should have received a new list of words last week.  If you didn't see one let me know or you can always look on the sidebar of this blog (if you are using your phone make sure you are in "web-version" to see all of the blog). 
  • We started a new unit in math today.  This will focus on counting and modeling numbers.  Today we worked on counting by ones starting at a given number and tomorrow we will work on counting by tens. We will model numbers using tens and ones to 120 to prepare us to add and subtract two digit numbers without regrouping in our next unit (ex. 53 - 30=23 or 33 + 60 = 93)
  • In reading and writing we are still learning about different ways to spell consonant sounds and today we started learning about opinion paragraphs vs. descriptive paragraphs.  Our first opinion paragraph will be "My favorite season".  Students will still follow with basic outline of a paragraph (opening sentence, details or reasons, and closing sentence).  But, instead of describing something they will first state their opinion.  
  • Since I was gone last week we reviewed the Animal habitats that we presented--so far we have learned about the Arctic, the Sonoran Desert and the African Savanna.  This has been a favorite unit of my students and is proving the same with this group.  We will use our knowledge and write paragraphs about the many habitats we learn about.  
  • Don't forget our Sight word soldier pass off day is Wednesday!  I'm excited about all of those that are reading towards our 100-book challenge.  So far Adam, Avery, HartLee, Kash, Kimberlin, Liam, Rayne and Ryder have returned lists.  I told my students today that I gave all parents information about this challenge and that you could help them with this.  If you have lost your information please let me know and I will send home more.  It's easy to do if you start early, but much harder if you wait until the last minute.  
Happy Reading!!

Mrs. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment