Monday, October 26, 2020

October 26 - October 30

Happy Halloween Week! 

 Brrrr...  thanks for sending your child with coats and warm clothes today.  We didn't go outside for break as the temperature never surpassed the 25 degree threshold.  26 degrees is still cold so watch the weather and continue to send warm coats with your child when the weather is wintery.  Knowing Cedar weather we'll warm right back up.  

Here are this week's happenings:

  • The eagle Fun Run is going on for 7 more days.  In our class we have raised $475 towards our goal of $525.  If we can reach that $525 goal we will win a silly string party.  Thanks for registering, logging fitness minutes, and reaching out to friends and neighbors for donations.  The school has reached another milestone of $12,000 so we will receive extra recess.  I will do that on a warmer day and hopefully use a different playground. 
  • Miss Mallory is back to help pass off sight word lists.  If your child hasn't passed off a list for a while I had her send home a new list today--check in your child's homework folder.  Remember she's here everyday except Wednesday to pass off those lists.
  • Today I sent via e-mail a post-research survey.  If you remember I am in my last semester of my master's program and working on action research for my thesis--I am at the end of the research period and part of my research is using survey responses. If you wouldn't mind please fill out the survey--I'd really appreciate it. 
  • Our Halloween parade will be this Friday, October 30 from 2:45-3:00 on the north playground.  Remember that students will be walking inside the fence and parents/spectators can assemble along the outside of the fence.  Students can come to school dressed in their costumes. Please save the blood and gore and full face masks for other occasions.  
  • A new batch of take-home books were sent home today.  Remember to sign the sheet inside of the bag to get new books the next week.  I hope that you are noticing improvements in your child's reading.  If you have any concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.
  • In our learning we are continuing to work on addition within 20.  We have learned several long vowel spellings (ee, a_e, i_e and o_e) and are working on writing complete sentences using a sentence start.  We have filled in several pages of our journals with sentences starting with I can, I have, I am, or I see......  We finished our last body system today, the Nervous system, and will continue our learning about our bodies as we learn about nutrition and exercise and this year our lessons on germs and immunizations will especially be poignant and understandable.  
  • Reading calendars for my class--I know it gets confusing with the PTA bookmarks, the take-home books sheet and my calendar, but those are due when we return in November.  Remember that students receive a small treat and coupon for Pizza Hut.  I remember taking my kids to get their Pizza Hut reward--hopefully it's a little incentive to keep them reading :)
Have a wonderful Monday and Happy Reading,
Mrs. Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment