Monday, September 10, 2012

Newsletter September 10-14

Welcome to our 4th week of school!  I sent home new spelling words with your child today.  Notice that this week's spelling pattern is a bit more difficult and may require some more study at home.  Last week only a handful of my students got all of the points possible for the sentence portion of the test.  Don't be alarmed by that.  It is a big step for first graders to be able to transfer their list of spelling words to other things.  We will continue to work on that in class.  As a reminder, I grade the sentences for correct spelling of words, a capital letter at the beginning and punctuation at the end.  Most of the time it will be a period at the end of their sentence.  I have included the spelling sentence with the list of spelling words to the left of this message.  Scroll down to see it if necessary.  Have you child practice writing the sentence at night as you study the spelling words. 

I hope that you are practicing the sight words with your child.  Remember to send back the little yellow sheet when your child is ready to pass the words off in class.  I will then send home another list.  If they don't quite pass them off in class, I will send the yellow slip home again with another list and the words that they didn't quite master.

Tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept. 11), I will start sending home books from our take-home library.  These books will come home in a big ziplock bag.  These books are on your child's independent level.  If you notice though, that they are consistently too easy or too difficult let me know and I will adjust the level.  Please have your child read these nightly--more than once! Initial the sheet inside the bag and send it back with your child daily and the book will be replaced.  If you haven't signed a permission slip for the take-home library I have included one in your child's homework folder.

I sent home an e-mail (to those that provided one) about a suspicious van at East Elementary. Mr. Burton has composed a letter regarding this matter and I have included that in your child's homework folder as well.  If you have any further concerns about the issue please contact me.

Just a couple more notes.  One is about absences.  Please have your child here in school.  It is difficult to make-up work or to send missing work home because in first grade we do a lot of things in class that cannot be duplicated at home.  The other is about early arrival.  If your child arrives before 8:30 a.m. they will be asked to go to the cafeteria and sit on the stage until the buses arrive. I am frequently in meetings in the mornings and am not here until then and that time is reserved as teacher prep time.  Thanks for helping out with these two issues.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment