Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Newsletter October 23-26

I hope that you all had a wonderful Fall Break.  It definitely is Fall, most of the leaves are off the trees here at school and my cute first graders had a ball playing in them and with them during break.  You may notice their hair is full of remnants of this play.

This week is Red Ribbon Week.  I sent home a flier with your child last week, and am afraid I do not have any extra ones.  There are "dress up" days associated with Red Ribbon Week.  Today was pajama day, Wednesday is "wear red day", Thursday is "rock star day", and Friday is "crazy hair day".  We will be having an assembly tomorrow that will address the "Drug Free" message of Red Ribbon week.

I will send your child's first quarter grades home next Monday.  If you need to check and see if they have any missing work, use the online code that I gave you at SEP conferences.  I do have two partially colored October Reading records that were put in my homework box.  Neither of them have names on them.  If you child is missing their October Reading record please let me know.  I do hope that you are faithfully reading with your child every school night.  IT MAKES a DIFFERENCE!!

Thanks for helping with your child's math homework.  Just a reminder to make sure that your child has their name on it before sending it back to school.  It is tough to distinguish between handwriting when it is only numbers. If your child's paper doesn't have a name, and I can't figure out whose it is, I will have to give them a zero for the assignment.

I sent home another note about Dad and Pumpkins this Friday at 1:30-2:30 in my classroom.  I have had three dads commit to this.  Thanks in advance to Cason's dad, Dalton's dad, and Davee's dad.  I could still use a couple more volunteers for this activity.  Grandpa's, uncles and step-dads are also welcome!!  Please e-mail, send a note or call me by Thursday, October 25 so I know how many to plan on.

We are going to put our "apple head" witches together next Tuesday.  I could still use some Halloween print fabric (1 yard) or black felt.  If you would like to help donate for this project please send the fabric or felt with your child by Friday, Oct. 25.  

Cason is "Star of the Week" this week.  We enjoyed getting to know him a little bit better and loved watching his zipline video. This week we will talk about pumpkin adjectives and vote on how we are going to carve our classroom pumpkin.  We will then write similes using our pumpkin adjectives.  We will also do an informational writing piece about spiders.  I amazes me how much first graders LOVE spiders.  We could learn about them and share stories all day long.

I started to "adopt" your children today.  This is a fun literature/math activity. Ask your child if I adopted them yet.  I am so glad you are willing to share your children with me.  I feel it a privilege to be their teacher!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment