Monday, March 17, 2014

Newsletter March 17 - 21

We have officially begun the 4th quarter of school!  I will print out your child's grades and send them home by this Thursday, March 20. I love this time of year, it's wonderful to remember where my students started and where they are now.  I love that most of my students will spontaneously read things now.  They'll read the titles of books, the math problems, labels etc.  It's wonderful for a teacher to watch.  Please keep reading nightly with your child!  Help them develop a love for reading!

We are working on time to the hour and the half-hour in math.  Sometimes we will finish the math homework in class, depending on the concept and student behavior.  I have listed the lesson that we will do each day on the sidebar of this blog.  Please ask your child each night if they have math homework.  I really am hoping to give you a little math break this week. :)  If so, use that time to study sight word List #8, if your child hasn't passed it off yet.  I will test on that list on March 31.

This is an exciting week as we are going to the St. George children's museum this Thursday.  We will leave right after the bell rings at 9:00 am so make sure that your child is on time to school that day! All of us will be bring a school provided sack lunch.  Please make sure that your child's lunch account is current.  The museum depends on donations, so if you could help by sending a $1.00 donation with your child we can help keep that museum up and running. I'm excited to go.  I've heard wonderful things about the museum.

I mentioned this last newsletter, but am going to remind you just in case you didn't catch it.  On Friday, March 28 at 2:00 the first grade classes will be "performing" during the AR assembly.  We will sing one song and have one student from each class read an essay titled "Why I like science".  You are welcome to come and watch our performance.  We will also perform at the 2:45 assembly, but 1st grade awards are given during the 2:00 time slot.

If your child hasn't turned in their February reading record yet, please help them to get it turned in.  It's too late, for a free pizza coupon and treat from me, but it's not too late to help our class win the prize of helping Mr. Burton "kiss a pig"! 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment