Monday, September 8, 2014

September 8 - 12

We have done two lessons from our Go Math program and I will now be sending home math homework most days.  It is nearly impossible to complete it all in class during our allotted time.  My hesitation with sending home math homework and the reason that I really didn't want to send it home this year, is that many will only do the math homework and not include reading as part of their nightly routine. I surely don't want your child to have homework bombarding them nightly, I know they are kids and need their "play time".  Please try to stick to 30 minutes total homework a night.  Include reading practice with their math homework.  Have your child help read the instructions.  The math homework will be due the next day, but I do understand we have busy lives so if you child turns it in late, I will not deduct any points.  Thank you for this help.  The one-on-one math help that they will receive with homework will be very beneficial. I have put the lessons that we will be working on on the left sidebar of this blog.  That way you can anticipate which math homework will be coming home.

Now that I have returned two spelling tests, I wanted to let you know how I grade them.  If I can't read the word, I mark it wrong.  I do not mark reversals wrong if I can tell what letter it should be.  B and D reversals are different.  If your child reverses the B or D I will verbally ask them how to spell the word and if they can spell it orally I will mark it correct as well as pointing out to the child that they have reversed the letter.  Letter reversals are still very common in first grade.  Do not be overly concerned if you child is reversing some letters or numbers.  We start becoming concerned if reversals are still happening regularly in third grade.

The Scholastic book order that I sent home last week is due this Wednesday, Sept. 10.  The easiest way to order is online using our classroom code.

Tomorrow all students will be given health screenings.  They will have their eyes checked as well as  a quick oral screening from a dentist.  The hearing screening will be done on a different date.  If something was noteworthy from those exams, the school nurse will contact you.

This week we are going to start our unit on punctuation.  This is a fun unit where I introduce correct punctuation with "Punctuation People".  Our first punctuation person will be "Period Pete".  We have been working on an "All About Me" writing and in science we are working on a little weather book especially concentrating on weather words.

I really love my sweet first graders.  I am a lucky teacher.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment