Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Newsletter December 1 - 5

Today we had the pleasure of listening to Jenny Oaks Baker and other musicians play a variety of Christmas tunes from around the world.  The weather couldn't have been nicer as we walked over to the Heritage Center.  Kelsie said, "This is my first concert!"

This week we will write letters to Santa that will be answered by wonderful elves from CHS.  Remember I said that first grade teachers have North Pole connections :) We will also start our unit on Gingerbread Man stories--we will read several stories and compare and contrast them.  This unit will culminate with my students writing an opinion piece about their favorite Gingerbread story.

Speaking of Gingerbread we will be constructing Gingerbread houses out of graham crackers on December 17, at 9:30 a.m.  I will compose a letter on Wednesday giving details about this activity and send it home on Thursday.  I will be asking for donations, of course if this is not a possibility don't worry about it.  If you would be willing to help with supplies--I very much appreciate it.  I failed to mention Kaden and Dante as they also helped with supplies for our "turkey cookie" activity before Thanksgiving and thanks to Dante's mom as she helped too that day.  Thanks also to Nash for bringing a package of pencil top erasers to share with our class. I could use parent volunteers for the Gingerbread house construction--if you could help that morning, please let me know via e-mail.

I sent home a December Scholastic book order today.  In order to get these books back for Christmas those orders will be due this Friday, December 5.  If you would like me to save any books as Christmas gifts, let me know and I would be happy to do that.  I attached a "Free book" coupon to each of the book orders.  The easiest way to order is to use the online code found on the note attached to the order, but you can also send your order with a check (written to Scholastic) or cash to school with your child.

I mentioned in my last newsletter that we will be making "secret gifts" for Christmas.  I talked to my kids about earning the money for these gifts.  If you could help them "earn" $1.00 to help with these gifts, or as Dane said, "I already have $1.00 in my piggy bank", I again would appreciate it.  Please send the $1.00 with your child by next Friday 12 if possible.  Thanks!

The November Reading Record is now due!  I sent home the December reading record home yesterday.  I know December is a crazy month, but please don't neglect the gift of reading with your child.

I will add some pictures of our Thanksgiving cookie making activity--scroll down and enjoy!


















No comments:

Post a Comment