Monday, December 7, 2015

Newsletter December 7 - 11

We are busy working through Chapter 5 in math.  Today we completed Lesson 5.5  I didn't send home a schedule this time.  The packet will be due by Thursday, December 17, the same day we will have our test for that chapter. 

December 17 will be a fun, busy day.  I have decided to change the Gingerbread house activity to Thursday, December 17 at 12:45 pm.  That way I can set up at lunchtime.  I will send home a note tomorrow asking for specific donations.  If you find anything that you think would be a fabulous addition for gingerbread house decorating you are welcome to send that also.  Thank you so much for making this activity possible.  I can use any volunteers that would like to help that day.  Let me know if you can come and help.  The more the merrier!

Thank you to those that have sent in 50 cents for our "secret gift".  We will start those this week and they will come home with your child next week.  Thank you too if you helped your child find a job to do to earn the money. 

In reading,  we are now learning the spellings for vowel combinations.  Two letters that work together to create one sound.  Today we learned about the /aw/ (sound) as in paw and how to spell it.  We have also learned about both sounds for the spelling "oo", and the /ou/ sound and spelling like in shout.  These sounds and spellings are reinforced through reading and writing, and the students read from a student reader everyday using those "newly" learned skills.  I am excited about the progress I am witnessing.  Please help your child with the spelling lists that I send home.  Today we took Spelling Test #3.  Some students struggled a bit, some due to absences, but others just need extra practice at home. 

In the listening portion of our reading program, we are continuing our study of Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt.  Today we learned about hieroglyphics and papyrus and why writing was important for the Ancient Egyptians as well as for us today.  I love that my little 6/7 year-olds are learning such high- level vocabulary and information about the world around us.

This time of year is so fun and magical in first grade.  I just love it. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment