Monday, November 30, 2015

Newsletter November 30 - December 4

I hope that you all had a nice Thanksgiving break.  It seems that a few sicknesses are going around as we had several students absent today. It was nice to see my cute first graders back though! We took our second spelling test today.  I will send home a new spelling list tomorrow.  The test for that list will be on Monday, December 7.  Please help your child study those spelling words at home.  The spelling patterns should be familiar, but with some students being absent, and with the test being after a weekend, help at home would be beneficial. 

Today we started into Chapter 5 in our GoMath books.  This chapter deals with Addition and Subtraction relationships.  I think that the homework pages are fairly self-explanatory for this chapter so I will not send home a "hint" sheet.  Of course, if you need some clarification, please don't hesitate to e-mail with questions.  The math homework packet came home with your child today.  It will be due on Wednesday, December 17.  I will send home a schedule tomorrow.  I didn't get a chance to attach them before the school day ended.

The PTA November reading calendars (yellow paper) are due tomorrow.  Please help your child to fill out that calendar and tally the number of minutes.  That calendar counts for 50 points and the PTA will provide prizes for minutes read and I will award each returned calendar with a certificate and small treat. 

With Christmas just around the corner, I wanted to make you aware of a couple of activities we will do in our classroom.  On Wednesday, December 16 at 10:00 a.m. we will make Gingerbread houses out of graham crackers.  I will send home a note about this in a few days, and will also ask for donations (supplies for the houses).  These donations are optional, but anything you can help with would be appreciated! I could use parent volunteers that day.  The more the merrier!!  We will also be making a "secret gift".  I will encourage my students to help earn 50 cents for this gift.  If you could help find a small job that they could complete at home and then send 50 cents for that "secret gift" I would appreciate that also. 

I will send home a grade printout by Thursday.  Some of my students are finding it hard to complete their morning work.  If this is the case, for your child, I will send home the unfinished assignments to complete at home.  I don't expect all of it to be done in one night, but helping them complete these assignments would be helpful.

Please study the sight words with your child.  They should have passed off at minimum right now List #3. The more sight words they know automatically the faster reader they will become.  If they have to stop at every little word to try and "sound it out" then, their comprehension of the text also suffers.  It shouldn't take more than a few minutes every night.  Make sight word practice a habit.

Happy Reading!  (and rereading:)

No comments:

Post a Comment