Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January 4 - January 8

Welcome back to school!  It only takes me a day to get back into the swing of things, except I am still yawning a bit, and my "kids" are again asking, "When is it lunch time?"

Today we took most of our Chapter 5 test in math.  If your child has not turned in their Math Chapter 5 homework packet please turn that in tomorrow!  We will finish that test tomorrow and start on Chapter 6 on Thursday.  I will send home the new Chapter 6 math homework packet that day with a schedule. 

We are continuing our study of Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt.  We have recently talked about the building of the Great Pyramid and the Sphinx and today we talked about how a "princess", Hatshepsut (hat, shep, soot) helped to change some ancient Eygptian laws.  Ask your child about what Hatshepsut did that was courageous and different from the other Egyptian pharaohs.

Tomorrow we will take our spelling test on the days of the week.  I sent home a list of those words before the break, and stated on the top that we would take that test today, but with our Polar Express and pancakes day, we needed to move that test until tomorrow.  If you could help your child study those words tonight that would be great.  We did some rainbow writing this afternoon to help us remember how to spell those words, but they are long and somewhat tricky so any extra practice at home would be helpful. The spelling words are always on the left sidebar of this blog, along with math and literacy homework reminders.

The December PTA reading calendar is now due!  I sent home a January calendar today (yellow paper).  Please turn the December calendar in by Friday, for 50 points in my class and a treat or prize from me and from the PTA.  Many students tell me they "never get a reading calendar".  I know that is not true, as I put one in every child's box or homework folder at the beginning of the month.  I do not have extra calendars, as this year the PTA provides those.  Please put those calendars in a place where they will not get lost and that will remind you to read with your child for 15 minutes every night.  If you have lost your calendar you can send me a signed note, with the number of minutes read for the month and I will count that.

Thank you for getting your child here on time everyday!  This is such a great time for academic growth in first grade.  If you child is missing valuable reading instruction then the growth may also be missed.  We are in Unit 4 of our skills unit for reading.  We have just learned the /er/ (sound) and how it is spelled and today we concentrated on the /ar/ (sound) and spelling.  We have started a new informational text that will complement the sounds and spelling patterns that we learn in class.  It's amazing to see my students devour texts that once seemed overwhelming.  Don't let up on reading with your child every night!  We will have our next DIBELS testing next Friday, January 15.  Most likely all of my students will be moved up a level or more.  That will mean that their take-home books will be moved up to their appropriate "new" level.  Watch for that change. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment