Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Newsletter January 19 - 22

I hope you all had a nice MLK holiday.  I was driving a lot--back and forth to Vegas on Saturday and back and forth to Provo on Monday.  I think I have caught up on my sleep.

This is what's happening this week:

  • We will begin our Unit on Early American Civilizations. We learn about the Maya, Inca and Aztec civilizations.  During reading groups this week and just today during our computer time, I had two excited students come and show me "the great pyramid" and a "sarcophagus".  What we have learned about Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia has transferred :)  I am excited to see what our journey through the Early American civilizations will take us.
  • Tomorrow is our spelling test.  I sent home the words last week, with the date of the test on the top.  Please make sure that you child knows these words.  They are also on the right-hand  sidebar of this blog.
  • It didn't register with me that SEP conferences will be the first week of February (Feb. 1 - 5) this year.  They have always been the first week in March.  I am kind of happy for the earlier conferences.  I will send home your child's assigned time by this Friday.  Please look it over and send it back ASAP.  If you need to change your time, you are welcome to contact me via e-mail or Remind, or send a note on the assignment sheet.  At these conferences, we will discuss your child's recent DIBELS scores, and I will save their 2nd quarter grades for that time, as to better discuss them with you. School will dismiss at 2:30 everyday that week, including Wednesday.
  • The 100th day of school will be on Monday, Feb. 1.  I will send home a little homework assignment by next Monday.  It is not very time-consuming, but the kids love it.  It will be due that Monday, Feb. 1.  I will demonstrate the assignment to my students before I send home the assignment.  I will also send home information about our super-exciting, 100-Book challenge that day.  Please watch for both pieces of information regarding the 100th day assignment and the 100-book challenge!
  • Our classroom pictures have arrived, but there is an error.  A second grade student was inadvertently placed on our print.  He is absent from his actual class.  I am hoping that the company will reprint all of those pictures.  I have e-mailed the company and  I will let you know when I hear back from them.  
  • The Math Chapter 6 Homework packet will be due on, Wednesday, January 27.  The test for that chapter will be the following day on Thursday, January 28.
Happy Reading--remember to read with your child for 15 minutes each school night!!  It helps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment