Monday, November 6, 2017

Newsletter November 6 - 10

It feels like Halloween was ages ago as we have started to dive into Thanksgiving learning.  Today we used a Scholastic Weekly Reader to learn about a "day in a Pilgrims life" specifically Pilgrim children.  We will use that knowledge in a writing and art activity on Wednesday.

Here are this week's happenings (other than our Pilgrim project):
  • Tomorrow we are going to the Paiute Tribal Center for their Native American Month program.  We will be walking there and will leave East Elementary at 1:15 and return at approximately 3:00.  I would really like a helper to walk over there with me and my students.  If you could come with us tomorrow please let me know through e-mail.  
  • This week is Drug and Bully Prevention week.  Today we signed a pledge, placed cups in the fence for our "No Drug Zone" sign, and were given red wrist bands to remind us to be drug and alcohol free.  If you child keeps that red wristband on all week they will be given a small prize from the PTA on Friday. Tomorrow we are going to the PTA sponsored presentations on drug and bully prevention from 9:00-9:20.  I sent home a flier last week about the activities and "crazy hair day" associated with the week last week so I won't go into detail about those specific activities.  If you have any questions though please contact me.
  • This Thursday in our classroom at 3:00 we will have our PTA reading awards presentations.  Most of my students will be receiving at least the first award as I mentioned at the beginning of the year, I will supplement reading at home with 15 minutes of reading at school.  That way by reading the expected 10 minutes a night plus 15 minutes in class my students can achieve the highest award or "Gold Eagle".  This won't occur though without the reading at home minutes combined with our reading in class.  Please don't get lax on reading each night.  I know this time of year gets busy with the holidays, but continue with the healthy habit of reading each night with your child.  Those students who read every night really progress in reading and it's showing already. 
  • I mentioned earlier that we are diving in to Thanksgiving learning. We are also finishing up on our math addition strategies unit.  We are still learning about adding three numbers together.  That will take a few more lessons solidify.  I will test on that chapter early next week.  In reading, we took our first spelling test today.  Watch for results tomorrow or the day after.   A new list of words will come home tomorrow and that test will be next Monday, November 13.  
  • Don't forget library on Wednesday and Sight word Soldiers!
Happy Reading! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment