Monday, September 10, 2018

Newsletter September 10 - September 14

Tomorrow our reading intervention groups will start.  I sent e-mails to those students who will be leaving my classroom to attend a reading intervention group.  If you have any questions please e-mail me back.

Here are this week's happenings:
  • Picture Day is this Friday, September 14.  All students will get their picture taken during the Fall picture time.  If you want to purchase pictures you can either send the picture order form back with your child (I sent it home last week) by Friday, or order online.  I will not be here this Friday, I am traveling up north for a family wedding so it might be easier for my substitute if you order online.  I just did this for my sophomore son at CHS.  They sent home a proof with his picture with an order number--I just went to the website, plugged in the numbers, ordered what I wanted and paid.  The pictures will be sent directly to my house.  I could even change the background if I wanted to.  My suggestion would be to order that way.  
  • The fluoride rinse program will start this Wednesday.  Your child in order to participate in this program will need to send back the permission slip that was in their homework folder on the first day of school.  If you still want to do this and didn't send that back let me know and I will send you another permission form.  The PTA volunteers suggested that first graders practice "swishing" water at home before the first fluoride rinse so if you remember signing the paper give them a little lesson in swishing water and not swallowing it then spitting it back out as cleanly as possible.  😀
  • Our first PTA reading awards will be this Thursday, September 13 at 2:45 in our classroom.  I sent home notes to those students today (in homework folder) who will be receiving an award.  You are welcome to attend this simple, short ceremony.  Remember for your child to get these awards the PTA bookmarks need to be turned in.  I will start supplementing in class tomorrow since our reading groups start then.  You can't get all of the awards though if you don't read at home and send back the bookmarks.
  • On Wednesday we will take our first math test on addition concepts.  We will then move right into subtraction concepts on Thursday.  We will start with using pictures and manipulative to model simple subtraction problems.  
  • In reading we are still reading from our book Snap Shots.  We are still reviewing vowel and consonant sounds, blending sounds into words, writing complete sentences and in grammar learning about nouns and apostrophes.  We know that an apostrophe shows possession (i.e. Nat's mom or Bud's leg).  We have also started an addition computer program called Lexia that will supplement our reading instruction in class.  Students will get on Lexia three times a week for at least 20 minutes a time.
  • We just read about the Muscular System and this week we will also learn about the Digestive, Circulatory and Nervous systems before moving onto  keeping our bodies healthy.  
  • The take-home library is supposed to start this week.  I am crossing my fingers!  They revamped the whole library this year so we are a little bit slow to start that program.  When we start it please take advantage of it by having your child read their books nightly and returning it for a new book daily.  
  • I had several students (more than in past years which is great) sign up for the Wee Be Groovin dance class that is offered free of charge each Monday from 3:30-4:30 here in our gym.  If your child would like to do this they need to send in the permission form (orange paper that I sent home last week).  If they want to and you don't have the permission form again please let me know and I will send another one home with your child.
Have a nice Monday and Happy Reading!!

Mrs. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment