Monday, September 17, 2018

Newsletter September 17 - September 21

I can't believe that I am putting October dates on my calendar already.  We are half way through the first quarter of school.  I still haven't received information about our Take-home library starting.  I am really hoping that it will start soon.  Reading 10 minutes each night is the only "homework" that I require.

Here are this week's happenings:
  • Some of you have asked if I can send home two sight word lists each week.  I am willing to do that for all students if you would like that.  Let me know and I can send home two lists with your child, if they pass off two lists.
  • This Friday, all students will have a health screening for vision and dental.  If your child needs further observation then I will send home either a vision note or a dental note after Friday.
  • We still have about half of our Starving Students cards not returned.  This was a PTA fundraiser.  If you didn't want to buy it for $25 then you need to send the card back to school, if you wanted to keep it then you need to send $25 back.  I will send home e-mails to those students whose card or money has not been returned as a friendly reminder.  😊
  • SEP's (Student Education Plans or parent/teacher conferences) will be in two weeks from October 1 -5.  School will dismiss at 2:30 everyday that week including Wednesday.  I will send home an appointment time later this week.  I will do my best to schedule those times around siblings in other grades.  If you can't make the time please send back the note stating a date or time that would work better for you.  
  • We have moved to our subtraction unit in math.  The last couple of days we have been learning about how to write a subtraction sentence from a visual model.  We will now move to "taking from" and comparing.  For example:  tomorrow we will work on problems like "Jeff has 5 apples.  3 apples are red.  The rest are yellow.  How many apples are yellow? (5 - 3 = 2).  Then we will compare.  For example:  Mindy have 8 puzzle pieces.  David has 5 puzzle pieces.  How many more puzzle pieces does Mindy have than David?  (8 - 5 = 3)
  • In reading we are finishing up our unit on the Human Body.  Today we learned about the Circulatory System and tomorrow we will add the Nervous System to knowledge base.  We will then learn about keeping our bodies healthy.
  • In our skills portion of reading we are learning about question sentences and using a ? to end those sentences.  We are reviewing the /ch/, /sh/, and /th/, sounds and spellings and have learned that nouns name a person, place or thing.  
  • Thanks for sending in box tops.  I think the "contest" ends on October 12 so keep sending them in.  
  • Congratulations to Zeke, Kash and Liam.  They all received their "Red Eagle" award by turning in their first PTA bookmark.  Remember to mark those along with the calendar that I send home so that you children can earn those PTA awards. 
Have a great Monday and Happy Reading!
Mrs. Armtstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment