Monday, March 8, 2021

Newsletter March 8 - March 12

Groundhog art and paragraphs

 Sorry I missed last week with a newsletter--I am glad for REMIND so that I can send announcements that way in the absence of a newsletter.  I was very occupied with my son's state basketball tournament last week :). We are still super excited that we took STATE!

Here are this week's happenings:

  • I still can't stress enough to put an extra mask in your child's backpack. Today I gave out 4 masks, thanks to Ethen's parents for providing a package of masks--otherwise I would have to send your child to the office to call home for one.
  • Don't forget to read and return your child's take home books weekly--I try to remember to remind you on Wednesday night to return the books on Thursday, but again with the state tournament last week I did not get that reminder out.  We had several this week who did not get a new set of books.  This is such a great way to help with your child's reading fluency. I just read a quote where the jist of it said, "read with your child it helps them associate reading with love, connection and affection".  I believe that to be true.
  • This is our final week of the third quarter.  I can't believe it honestly--this time last year we were shutting down schools.  I am so happy we have continued in school all year and it seems that we will continue all the way through the 4th quarter.  We have next Monday and Tuesday off (March 15 and 16) before we start the fourth quarter.  So in case you didn't get that--NO SCHOOL next Monday and Tuesday March 15 and 16!  Spring break will be the first week of April--April 5-9!
  • In our learning we just started a unit on Astronomy.  Today we learned about the earth in relation to the sun.  We learned about the earth both rotating and revolving around the sun and learned a little bit about gravity. 
  • In math we are modeling two digit numbers using tens and ones.  This knowledge will propel us to learning about comparing numbers using greater than, less than or equal to.... and then we will start adding and subtracting two digit numbers without regrouping.  
  • In reading we have been reviewing different spellings for consonant sounds for example we can spell /j/ (sound) with j, g, or ge.  Today we learned the difference between an opinion and fact so that we can start writing opinion as well as descriptive paragraphs. We are reading about Kate, Nan, Jack and Max and their adventures out West in our reader "Kate's Book".  
  • I sent home a scholastic reader (February).  The date has expired to order from my note attached, but I will take online orders for those until this Wednesday March 10.  I will send home March orders next week.  
Happy Reading, 
Mrs. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment