Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Newsletter February 22 - February 26

 Here's my mid-week newsletter.  I guess Wednesday is better than never.  

Here's what's happening:

  • We have a large accumulation of clothing items in our lost and found.  This Friday those will be donated.  If your child is missing something (coat, jacket, hat etc.) please have them look for them before Friday.  If they ask my I will let them go before school or at a convenient time during the day to look for the missing item.
  • On Tuesday, March 2 we (along with the rest of the school) will be having a pajama day for "Read Across America"--Dr. Seuss's birthday celebration.  You child can wear their pajamas all day next Tuesday, March 2.  
  • I will send home scholastic book orders this Friday.  Disregard the order deadline--I will extend that to Wednesday March 2.  Please use the classroom code and order online (that's the best way)--I can take a regular order too.  It's nice as you have the choice to either have the books sent here to school or last month if you ordered a specific amount the books could be sent directly to your house (I guess that's one nice thing about COVID).  
  • This week I have again had several students say "I forgot my mask".  Please put an extra mask in your child's backpack.  This is especially helpful too if one mask gets misplaced during lunch break.
  • Don't forget to return both library and take home books tomorrow--THURSDAY.  I was excited to hear that next week we will be having our library experience back in the library so students will be able to have a greater variety of books to check out each week.  
  • In learning we have learned a lot about groundhogs and today we used a graphic organizer (hand print) to begin formulating a descriptive paragraph about groundhogs.  Ask your child to share some things they have learned about groundhogs.  I told them today they could be groundhog scientists! We have starting reading a new book called Kate's book and are concentrating on determining if a sentence is a statement or question. 
  • In math we started a new chapter, "Count and model numbers".  This is the chapter where we begin place value.  Students have been counting on by one from any given number using a 120 chart and tomorrow we will count on by 10's from any number using a 120-chart (i.e. 38, 48, 58 etc.). This chapter we will model tens and ones which will help us then be able to add and subtract two digit numbers. 
Happy Reading,
Mrs. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment