Monday, November 29, 2010

Newsletter November 29-December 3

I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday.  I could sense the excitement in our classroom today, as Christmas is just around the corner.

I hope that you saw the letter I sent home today about reading this blog.  Important information will be missed if you do not check the blog weekly. That is why I have decided to have you sign a sheet indicating that you have read this.  It will be ten points on your child's grade.  I may discontinue this (grade for reading) if I notice that most of you are reading this.  I don't want it to be a punishment, I just want you to find the necessary classroom information, and I do not have any idea how many of you are actually reading this.  I need to know if it is working.

I have decided to increase the points that your child receives for reading at home from 25 to 100 points each month.  I hope this lets you know how important I think reading to your child at home is.  I will start this new point system starting with the December reading record.  Remember that the November reading  record is due this Wednesday, December 1, along with the November Golden Sneaker calendar.

You might have noticed another December book order in your child's backpack.  I got that order form late and wanted you to see it.  December book orders will be due Wed. Dec. 1.  They will be back in time for Christmas!  Books make great Christmas presents!

I sent home new poems today.  If your child did not have their poetry binder here, I just sent home a poem in a sheet protector.  Please put that poem in the folder and have your child read it nightly.  Our poetry performances will again be this Friday, so please have your child return the folder that day.

Once again, JC's grandma is going to help with Gingerbread houses on December 16th in the morning.  If you could send graham crackers, stick pretzels or Christmas candy (small candy canes, M&M's, foil wrapped Santas, lifesavers etc.) to decorate those houses I would appreciate it.  Any help on that morning would be appreciated!

I am planning a painting project on Wednesday morning.  If  any of you would like to come and help with that I would appreciate it.  Paint and first graders sometimes  doesn't mix, but they love it, so I'm going to give it a try.

I am still giving my students a  "morning work" packet each Monday.  Most of my students complete it in class, but if they don't, I send it home on Friday.  Please encourage your child to finish this packet, and return it for points.

Wow, this was long today.  Thanks for all that you do to help me and your child.  Remember too, it's cold outside, I saw many red, cold hands after lunch break today.  Gloves would be a good idea!

Calendar items:
Nov. 29-Dec. 3--Bradon is "Star of the Week"
Dec. 6-10--Dallas is "Star of the Week"
Dec. 15--Celebrate JC's 1/2 Birthday         
Dec. 16--Celebrate Bridger's 1/2 Birthday--Gingerbread houses
Dec. 17--Christmas movie
Dec. 17-Jan. 2--Christmas Break

No comments:

Post a Comment