Friday, September 2, 2011

Newsletter September 5-9

I hope you all enjoyed your  long weekend.  We are back to work.  I hope that you saw in your child's homework folder, their new list of spelling words, decodeable books, and a new Reading Record for September.  Please help your child study their spelling words at home, as this week of course is one day shorter. Remember too that August Reading Records are now due! 

I have had a couple of recurring questions.  One is about the decodeable books.  Those are yours to keep.  Please read those with your child nightly, as part of their 20 minutes of reading.  It helps to cement the spelling concept that we are working on.  This week is the short "i" sound. Another question is about the math homework.  I didn't want to over burden you or your child with homework right at the beginning of school so I decided to wait to send home the math homework side of the worksheet.  We have been doing both sides in class.  Starting Monday, September 19th, I will be sending home the homework side of the math worksheet.  This will be due the next day. Please refer to the sidebar on this blog and it will tell you about what we are learning in math as well as the homework schedule.  Sometimes the lesson does not have homework with it or we are having a test.  I try to, as much as possible schedule tests on Fridays so that your child will not have math homework over the weekend.

I was pleased again with the results of our second spelling test.  I have been giving my students the list in the order that is on the sheet I send home.  Starting this week, I will be giving the test words out of order and adding a dictation sentence.  The dictation sentence will be worth bonus points for the next few weeks.  I will let you know when I will make them part of the actual spelling test score and not just extra points.  I want my students to be able to transfer these newly learned spelling words into their writing.

We go to the library every Thursday.  First graders can check out two books.  Students are not permitted to check out books if the previous books are not returned.

We have enjoyed having a new student, Kason Bulloch! He has fit in nicely with our class.

Happy Reading!!  Remember that the Scholastic book orders are due, Tuesday September 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment