Sunday, November 13, 2011

Newsletter November 14-18

Tomorrow (November 15) the November Scholastic book orders are due.  If you want to order online the code is JFVMJ.  I am going to put this code and Scholastic's website on a sidebar of this blog for your referral.   If any of you want me to hold on to your book orders for Christmas presents let me know.  I will send the December book order home with your child when we get back from our Thanksgiving break.

I sent home another poem today for our Poetry performances on Friday.  It was apparent to me this past Friday that a few children did not practice their poems at all.  It is hard for the group to perform well, if some of the students don't even know the words, or even the poem that was in their folders.  A couple of my students have never returned their poetry folders.  If they don't bring it back and don't recall the poem then I have them just observe as their group performs.  Please take a few minutes, during your nightly 20 minutes of reading,  to go over the poem.  The first time, you can read it to them if necessary.  You can also, read a line, and have your child read it back to you.

I am going to start giving our "morning work" a grade.  They will be worth 5 points.  Morning work has been our "ticket to break", but now it will also count towards your child's overall grade.  If they are absent I will send the sheet home for homework.

We are going to finish up our unit on the moon this week with a culminating activity of making moon sand and showing the phases of the moon with Oreo cookies.  I have enjoyed the moon bag activity and so have the kids.  Thanks so much for helping your child bring it back the very next day! I will give a "Moon test" before we break for the holiday. We are continuing to talk about gratitude and will especially concentrate on the First Thanksgiving this week.  We will do an art/writing project about the pilgrims this week as well as list the things that we would bring on the Mayflower if we had to take that long voyage. I am also introducing "nouns" to the children by going on a "noun walk" around the school.  Ask your child to name some nouns around home as extra practice.

Next Tuesday, November 22, we will be having a little class Thanksgiving party.  We will be making "turkey cookies", playing Thanksgiving bingo, and watching Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.  If any of you want to come and help with the cookie assembling I would love your help.  We will start at 1:00 that day.

Happy Reading! Progress in reading directly correlates with progress in all academic areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment