Monday, November 12, 2012

Newsletter November 12 - 16

Welcome to winter!  Thanks for sending your child to school with coats, gloves, scarves, etc.  It is cold outside, and remember the students go outside unless rain or snow if falling from the sky.

New spelling words are in your child's homework folder.  I am thrilled with the spelling test scores.  Remember we will have spelling words this week, but will not have spelling words next week due to the Thanksgiving Holiday.  I will also start adding a second dictation sentence to our list when we get back from the break.

I gave the Math Topic #3 test on Friday.  We did much better as a class.  The "Quick checks" and homework practice I think is helping.  I have some smart mathematicians in my class!

For our Thanksgiving party, we will be making "turkey cookies".  I will send a note home with your child if you signed up to help.  It will ask you to bring something to help with the cookies.  Watch for that either through e-mail or note in your child''s backpack.

Last week we wrote, "If I could go to the moon..." narratives.  Wow! I have creative writers in this class, as well as smart mathematicians.  They learned to use transition words such as first, next and last with these narratives.  Some of the responses were:  "First, I would have a picnic," or next, "I would battle space aliens", or last, "I would find the flag that is stuck in the moon."  We didn't get to our Thankful lists last week, so tomorrow we will compose those, and on Wednesday we will write about "How to Catch a Turkey". 

I am definitely thankful for your sweet children.  Please continue to read with your child every night and practice the sight words! 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment