Monday, November 5, 2012

Newsletter November 5 - 9

The October reading record was due November 1.  Please have your child turn that in now!  I sent home November reading records last Thursday.  November's reading record will be due Dec. 3rd.

Your child should have passed off Sight Word List #3 by now.  I will test all of the students that haven't passed of list #3 this Wednesday, November 7th.  I will enter scores in then.  If your child is behind please practice the sight words an extra amount each night.  If your child is caught up, that is they have passed off through at least List #3, please continue to practice these words nightly.  It helps their reading fluency tremendously if the sight words come automatically as they read.  Remember most sight words cannot be sounded out, so your child needs to be exposed to them numerous times.

I am pleased at the progress on your spelling tests, especially the sentence portion.  After the Thanksgiving break, I will start including a second dictation sentence.  We will have spelling words this week and next week, but will not have spelling words during the two days prior to our Thanksgiving break.

I gave the Math Topic #2 test last week.  As a first grade team, we have been asked to document our math test scores to show a comparison between our classrooms and the dual-immersion classrooms.  To make the test fair and valid, we decided to just read the questions so the students.  This was a tough test, and many of my students struggled.  The hard part for me was not to "feed them" the answers, because I know that most of them knew the answer, but the wording was tricking them.  I am having my SUU practicum students help them realize why they missed the problems that they did and give them immediate feedback.  I think most will say, "oh, I know how to do that."  I will send those tests home after the corrections have been made.  I really want my students to be successful on these tests, so I am adding a "quick check" after each math lesson.  I call it a "mini-test".  These "Quick checks" will be worth 5 points and will now be added to their math grade. If they are absent the day of the math lesson, I will send that home as added homework.  Thanks for helping your child with their homework at home, I hope that both of these things will help when it comes to test time.  I will test on topic #3 this Friday.

I sent home November Scholastic book orders today.  The book orders will be due this Friday, November 9th.  If any of you would like me to hold any books for Christmas gifts let me know.  I noticed a pretty neat Lego book from the Holiday Book form that my Lego loving boys might like.  Remember also that every time you order online you will receive a $5.00 coupon for a future order.  I will send home the December book orders early in the month too, so that you can get orders in time for Christmas.  Watch for those the first week of December.

This week we are going to be doing a "If I could go to the moon" narrative writing.  We will also compose "Thankful lists" and start and complete a handprint/footprint turkey art project. Tomorrow we will have a mock presidential election in our classroom, and discuss why we vote and who can vote.  We will also continue to focus on the common core standard of identifying main idea and sequence in a variety of texts.

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment