Monday, October 28, 2013

Newsletter October 28-November 1

Wow!  What  a crazy windy day!  My students are excited for the possibility of snow--their teacher is not!

Tomorrow is our Dads and Pumpkins carving activity at 1:30 here in my classroom.  Thank you to those who have volunteered to help.  So far I have Echo's grandpa, Abbi and Kate's mom, and Easton's, Taryn's, Traysen's, and Kean's dads that have volunteered to help.  If you would like to still come let me know tonight and I will plan on you.  Remember that if you volunteered to come and carve pumpkins you also volunteered to bring a pumpkin with you.  Our class will smell like pumpkins and we'll have first graders smiling from ear-to-ear!

Next week, on November 7th we will be walking to the Paiute Center and participating in their tribal celebration.  I will send home a field trip permission slip  by Wednesday.  Watch for that in your child's homework folder.

The October reading record is due this Friday, November 1st.  I will also test those students that have not passed off Sight Word List #3 on that date.

Today we went to theater class with Mr. Seely.  The students each got in groups and sang a song in a Halloween voice (ghost, pirate, monster etc.).  My kids are still a bit shy, but I think as the year progresses the chances to perform will not be so scary.  At the end of the lesson, he read the students a Halloween book using different voices for the characters.  He recommended doing that when they read at home.  I thought that was a great challenge.  Encourage your child to read with expression and with different voices as they read to you.  In addition, when you read to them use different voices for the characters.  They will love reading that much more if they use expression and change their voice to match the characters.

In math today, we still did not complete lesson 3.6.  The doubles plus one and doubles minus one concept is a difficult one for my students to grasp.  I sent home the homework today, but I will not require that they complete that homework until tomorrow (Oct. 29).

I may be gone on Thursday and Friday (I am crossing my fingers that I don't have to miss Halloween with these darling kids), but I might have jury duty.  I will not know until Wednesday evening.  It is school policy that the students do not dress up for Halloween.  I have planned a Halloween movie with Mrs. Wininger's class, and the school will have a Halloween sing that day, as well as we will work on Halloween math activities. 

We received a new student today.  His name is Darrell Lee and he will fit nicely into our classroom family.

Our October Catch the Vision winner was Angela Neeley.  She was an easy choice!  She's such a wonderful student and friend to all!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment