Monday, October 7, 2013

Newsletter October 7 - 11

I have such a great class this year.  I constantly brag about your children to my colleagues and family.  They are darling children, eager to learn, and respectful.

Tomorrow we are heading to the pumpkin patch in the afternoon.  We will leave the school at 1:00 and return by 3:00.  If you haven't sent back your child's permission slip and $1.00 donation please do so by tomorrow, or I cannot take your child with us.  Watch the weather and send a jacket with your child.  Speaking of jackets, I would just send one with your child daily now.  Weather in Cedar City is unpredictable, and all students will go out to break even if they do not have a jacket.  This is especially true during our longer lunch break.

This week we will wrap up our math unit on subtraction. We reviewed today and I will test on Wednesday morning.  Thanks for helping your child nightly with their math homework.  Please make sure that your child's name is on their homework.  Today as I was putting grades in at lunch time, I threw away five math homework assignments without names.

In writing, we will finish our apple opinion pieces.  Each child will state their opinion, give three reasons for that opinion, and provide an appropriate closing for their text.

Our reading groups are continuing very well, I am noticing improvement with many of my students.  Thanks also for reading with your child every night.  Today, I gave the students that handed in their September reading record a certificate, a little treat (that most of them already ate in class), and a certificate for a free personal size pizza from Pizza Hut.  Please use these as an incentive to read.  I used to take my children to Pizza Hut monthly to redeem their coupon.  They loved it!

If your child has not passed off Sight word list #2 please practice that list with them diligently.  They should be working on List #3 or beyond. Mastering these sight words is an important component to becoming a fluent reader.

This week our library day will be on Thursday, instead of our regular Friday time.  Please help to remind your child to return their library books by Thursday this week instead of Friday.

I sent home October's Scholastic book order today.  Those orders will be due, Wednesday October 16th, the day before we get our for Harvest Holiday. Use the online code to order, which is the easiest way, or send back your order by October 16th.  

Remember our school's PTA Halloween carnival this Saturday, October 12th, starting at 11:00.  It should be a lot of fun and the funds raised will be used directly for needs at our wonderful school.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment