Monday, November 18, 2013

Newsletter November 18 - 22

I hope that you all had a nice weekend.  This week I sent home a list of spelling words, but next week with the short week we will not have spelling words.  If your child is missing several words on their test, please take this as an indication that extra practice at home is needed.

Our math test for Unit #3 was last Friday.  I will have my cute helper Miss Makayla help with corrections, then the tests will be sent home with your child.  Remember that I keep their original score, but corrections will be made on their test. If you would like your child to receive extra help with their math homework.  Mr. Jenkins will be in the library Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 3:30-4:00 to help.  I sent a note home today with that information.

This week we are starting Unit 4 in math, which deals with subtraction strategies.  Today we learned about "counting back".  I am going to teach my children about fact families, or related facts for the next couple of days so that they will be better prepared for the lessons in this unit.  I hoped to finish this unit before Thanksgiving, but that will not be possible.   We will finish most of it and review when we get back from the holiday.

In writing we will write about Pilgrims and create a "Pilgrim" to display our writing.  I will read several books about the first Thanksgiving and we'll discuss how we are the same and/or different from the Pilgrims.

This Friday, we have another school-wide AR assembly.  I have some students that REALLY want to participate in the AR program, but are just not quite ready to read the books by themselves and get on the computer and take the tests.  You are welcome anytime after school or before school to come and read AR books with your child and help them with the tests.  I do not have enough help here or computers to assist all of the children that want to take AR tests.  For most 1st graders, this is not something that can do independently yet.  Last year, I had a mom come after school everyday and she used that as her child's 20 minutes of reading time.  This student because of that extra one-on-one help could eventually then take the tests independently and he was able to earn the "Gold Eagle" (which is the highest award a student can earn).  I also noticed with this particular student that his reading scores soared!

Next week for our Thanksgiving activity, I like to have my students make "turkey" cookies.  I had one mother sign up at Back to School Night to help with that activity. If any of you could help provide items for these cookies that would be great.  It would be things like a package of Oreo cookies, or candy corns etc. Send me an e-mail and I can give you an item to send.  Thanks!!

Happy Reading!
Brendan our November "Catch the Vision" winner!

Angela and Jentri received the Blue Eagle award for reading AR books!

No comments:

Post a Comment