Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11 - 15

Happy Veteran's Day!  At the end of the day, we discussed what a "veteran" is and why we honor veterans.  Wow! my kids were interested in veterans, and what they did, and about veterans that they have in their own families.

This week we are discussing sequence in texts.  We read The Amazing Turkey Rescue and then recounted what happened first, next, then, and last from the text.  We will do that again with more Thanksgiving texts, and then my students will write a narrative about "How to Catch a Turkey" using those important sequence/transition words such as first, next, then and lastly. 

In math we are wrapping up Unit 3.  This is a big unit with many new concepts.  We finished most of lesson 3-11 today and will finish that lesson tomorrow along with lesson 3-12.  We will review briefly on Wednesday and then again on Thursday.  I will test on Unit 3 this Friday.  Thanks to those that are asking me for help with this "new math".  I know that some of the vocabulary is "new".  Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have questions, as I know your child may not be able to help you.  I will more carefully look at the homework, and make sure that it is clear before I send it home.  If I feel like there could be some confusion, I will do the first problem with the students in class before I send it home.  Even after that, if you still have questions please don't hesitate to send me a note.  I will e-mail you a response and helpful hints quickly.

The November Scholastic book order is due this Wednesday, November 13th.  The best way to order is to use my online code.  There is a link for Scholastic right on the right sidebar of this blog.

We had a great opportunity last week to watch Teyha and Echo dance at the Native American Day at the Paiute Tribal building.  I'm a little biased, but I thought they were the cutest dancers out there.  We also were privileged to have Mrs. Smith share about her heritage.  She shared with the children about how she makes drums using deer hide, she showed us several cradle boards, and intricate wedding baskets and weaving.  I think she cleared up some misconceptions that young children often have about Native Americans.

I will send home a progress report this Wednesday.  Please watch for it in your child's homework folder. Thanks for sending those back everyday and reading nightly with your child. 

Happy Reading!!
Mrs. Smith showing the students a cradle board.

Teyha and Echo with their friends after the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment