Monday, January 27, 2014

Newsletter January 27 - 31

Happy 100th Day of school!  We had a fun time today as we guessed the 100 objects in our 100-day bottles.  We had cotton balls, jelly beans, pinto beans, and metal stamps (linotypes) among other creative items.  If your child did not complete this assignment, they can bring their 100 items tomorrow (January 28th).  I told my students today that Tuesday would be the last day for that assignment (since it really was for our 100 day celebration).  We need to practice for our Curriculum Night reader's theater and continue working in our Go Math book.
 

I sent home your child's DIBELS scores today.  I attached a light purple note to each of the score sheets.  I hope that this note helps to clarify how the test is administered and how you can interpret the scores.  I also spent some time writing a specific note for each student.  These specific notes, will give you ideas on what you can do at home to help your child progress in their reading.  If your child reached all of the "benchmark" scores (where they need to score at this time in the year), please continue to work hard at home since the number of words that each child should read in a minute dramatically increases by the April test date.

In addition to the DIBELS scores, I sent home a note about our 100-book challenge.  This challenge is very achievable.   We have 80 days left in the school year, so if your child reads at least one book each school night (they should be reading every school night),  then they will only need to read 20 more to make this goal.  If you have questions about this challenge please don't hesitate to contact me.

I sent home sight word lists home today with your child if he or she still needs to pass them off.  I will test all students on Sight Word List #6 this Friday. Remember that there are 11 Sight Words lists that 1st graders should pass off by the end of the year.  The faster that they master these words, the better readers they will become.

Curriculum Night is this Thursday, January 30 at 6:00.  My kids are excited to perform our water cycle reader's theater for you that night.  Remember we will perform at 6:00p.m. so that you can go to the Multicultural Fair, and to other classrooms.  Please be here on time!!!

I haven't heard of any students that will not be participating with us during Curriculum Night, so I will see you all this Thursday night!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment