Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February 18 - 21

I hope that you all had a great long President's Day weekend.  This weather is still crazy warm!  We are experiencing "spring fever" a little early this year. 

I put Science Fair packets in your child's homework folder today (coral color).  I do not require the science fair, but encourage any students that would like to participate.  This year they are adding a "collection" component for K - 2 students.  If my first grade child was participating in the fair, I would choose that option.  It is more applicable to their developmental age.  If your child wants to participate the entry form is due March 7th.  The science fair is March 27, and if you child participates they will be able to show their project to judges that day.  On the evening of March 27 at 6:00 any are welcome to come and view the science fair projects as well as the art that will adorn the halls of the school and gym.

SEP is quickly coming upon us.  Those conferences will be held the first week of March.  I will send home appointment notices next week.  I will keep the same time that we had for our fall conferences and will again coordinate with so that you won't have to come to the school multiple times if you child has siblings in the school.

I will send home a Scholastic book order home tomorrow.  It will be due Tuesday, February 25.  The best way to order is online using the code on the letter I send with the order, or by clicking on the link on the sidebar of this blog.

Our bus was approved for our March 20th field trip to the Children's museum in St. George.  I could use two adult volunteers to accompany us that day.  Please let me know if you can or would like to help.  I will order a school lunch for all children, unless you tell me otherwise.

We're starting our new unit in math, so homework will be sent home most days.  I hope you enjoyed your little break last week :)  In science, we just finished a little discovery about Groundhog burrows (which my kids loved), and we'll move into our physics unit (force and motion) in the next couple of weeks. 

I'm thrilled at all of those students that are moving towards our 100-book challenge.  Today Janelle and Kayzley logged their first 10 books, and Kean was our first 25 book reader.  He got a free book, and a little treat. Kate, Brendan and Jentri aren't far behind--they have each read 20 books!  Thanks for helping your child with this.  I love it when they excitedly bring me a list of books they've read.

Please never hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns.  The best way to reach me is through e-mail.  I usually get back to you promptly.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment