Monday, February 24, 2014

Newsletter February 24 - 28

Today I sent home SEP appointment times (bright orange note).  Please sign and return that ASAP so that I can reschedule if necessary.  We can reschedule via e-mail or you can call the school during lunch time or after hours to reschedule.  I look forward to meeting with all of you next week.  Remember that because it's SEP week next week, school will dismiss everyday at 2:30 including Wednesday.

I sent home math homework lesson 8-4 today.  We still didn't finish that lesson in class.  I think I have about 1/3 of my class that really gets the concept of using a 100-chart to help them add ones or tens to a number.  I have taught them that if they add "one" to a number that they count-on on the row of the 100 chart (ex. 46 + 5 = 51--start on number 46 and count-on 5 and the answer is 51).  If they need to add "tens" to a number they count-on (or down) on the columns of the 100-chart (ex. 32 + 40 = 72--start on 32 and count-on 4 "tens" or 40 and the answer or where they land is 72).  We will finish that lesson tomorrow in class and start on lesson 8.5 tomorrow as planned.  You do not need to complete homework 8.4 with your child tonight, but rather can save it until tomorrow. 

If your child misses a day or leaves early and misses math, I am now going to send home the pages from their math book to  complete at home for homework.  It's hard to "catch up" if they miss an entire day of math.   If you see those in your child's homework folder please help them complete the missing days work at home.

I will test on Sight Word List #7 this Friday, February 28th.

The Scholastic book order is due tomorrow.  Ordering online using our classroom code is the easiest way to order books.  There will be a book fair during SEP week in the library that will also have some great options to increase your home library.

I hope that you are reading with your child at home nightly!  I know that most of you are.  If your child does not turn in their reading record during the first week of it's due date, I will not give them a pizza coupon and treat.  For example, the February Reading Record will be due, Monday, March 3rd.  If it is not turned into me by Friday, March 7th, I will not give them the "reward". 

Congrats to Jentri--she's read 50 books!  Kean and Angela have each read 25 books and Brendan is up to 30 books!  I love it!!  They love it too!!

I still haven't had any volunteers for our field trip to the St. George Children's museum on March 20.  If you can help please let me know.  We need to parent volunteers that day to help accompany a group of 5 students through the museum.

Happy Reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment