Monday, April 21, 2014

Newsletter April 21 - 25

Welcome back!  I hope that you all have a wonderful Easter break!  We have five more weeks left of school.  I just signed up for our DIBELS testing.  That will be Wednesday, May 7 in the morning.  I will feed my students pancakes that morning before the test.  If you could donate some apple juice for that morning please let me know.

This Thursday, we are going on another walking field trip to SUU to Bard's birthday bash.  It is always a fun occasion, with cake,  a maypole, jousting, and an improv performance.  We will leave East Elementary at 12:40 p.m. and return right before school lets out.  Please sign and return the permission slip that I sent home in your child's homework folder today. 

On May 6th we have reserved the Aquatic Center in the morning for swimming.  We usually like to have that activity later in the month, but there are restrictions on buses for the month of May and when I called to arrange a date, May 6th was our only possibility.  For that field trip/activity, we need 4 to 5 brave parent volunteers who will get in the water and "swim" with the class.  If you would be willing to help that day please let me know.  The cost for the field trip is $2.00, unless your child has a swimming pass.  I will send home more information about that field trip in the next couple of blog newsletters.

We just started on Unit 11 in math.  It deals with three-dimensional shapes.  Like our last unit, I feel that sometimes we will get through the in class portion of the lesson quickly and then we can do the homework in class as well.  I just put the math homework down as a guide, so again if your child tells you that he or she does not have homework, they are telling you the truth :)

We have four more weeks until our 100-book challenge ends.  Angela just reached the 98 book mark today!  She's getting close! 

I will be taking a "personal day" this Friday.  My oldest child, my daughter is getting married, and I am going to go down to St. George and help her as she is getting her bridal photos taken that day.  We are getting our incubator that day for our chick hatching extravaganza.  The eggs will arrive the following Monday, so hopefully we'll have some chicks hatch next week.  That experience helps to reinforce life cycles.  In science during May, our focus is life cycles as well as plants and seeds. If you would like to buy a chick let me know. 

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment