Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Newsletter March 31 - April 4

Thanks to those that came and watched us sing our little Water Cycle song during the science/AR assembly last Friday.  We had to change our configuration at the last minute, because our "mad scientist" had so much to show us.  I thought our first graders still did a great job despite the last minute changes.  Abbi shared her essay "I like science because..." for our class and Kate Ison was our Catch the Vision winner for March.  My students loved watching Mr. Burton "kiss a pig" for the PTA reading incentive.  Our March reading records are now due!  Turn those in now so that we can be eligible for next months PTA sponsored reading incentive event.  Which is yet to be announced!

I sent home a permission slip for a field trip next week.  We will be walking to SUU to the Pirates of Penzance play.  We will leave here by 9:30 a.m. and return by lunch.  This cost for this field trip is a $1.00 donation.  The SUU playmakers groups always does a fantastic job!

In my last blog, I announced our Easter Egg Hunt.  I will be brief explaining that again.  If you need more information, scroll down and read last week's newsletter.  In summary, we'll be going to Canyon Park on Tuesday, April 15th at 2:00 p.m.  We are asking each child to donate one dozen candy-filled eggs (use scotch tape to hold them together).  Thanks to Damion who has already donated several dozen eggs!!!

I also sent home a Talent Show information and permission slip.  The Talent Show will be held Friday, April 11th.  If your child would like to participate the permission slip is due April 7th.  The show will be presented twice.  Once at 2:00 for parents of the participants, and another time at 2:00 for the study body.

I was pleased with our last math test results.  Remember that if you child misses any problems on the test, that I have SUU students that help with corrections.  Your child will come home with those corrections made, but the original percentage will stand.  We have started our unit on graphing.  So, far I feel like my students have a handle on the picture graphs.  We still need to work on comparing two items on a graph (i.e.  How many more students like blue paint than red paint?)  Before the test, I will reinforce that concept with my students. 

If your child has not passed off Sight Word List #9.  They should pass that list off this month.  Please practice sight words with you child.  Especially if you child's fluency (number of words they can read in a minute) was not where it needed to be last time we tested.  I was excited to see three more students bring lists of 10 books that they have read.  Jentri has now read 80 books, Kate has read 60 and Anna has read 20! 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment