Monday, January 12, 2015

Newsletter January 12 - 16

We are now starting the 3rd quarter of school.  I will get grades printed out this Wednesday and send them home with your child this Thursday.  If you need to turn in anything from last quarter please turn it in by Wednesday.  Especially home reading records.  Those are worth 100 points and really bring down your child's percentage if they are not turned in.  I am not asking for dishonesty, just making sure that if you child has read that they turn in the reading record.  These minutes also help with our PTA sponsored reading program.  The first amount of minutes to "arrest Mr. Moyle" will be tallied by this Friday.  We hope to reach 1,000,000 minutes as a school this time. I think that we are close by not quite there yet.

Today I sent home a Scholastic books flyer and order form. Order will be due this Friday, January 16.  I sent home our classroom's online code (blue paper).  Using the online code is the easiest way to order books.

We are finishing up chapter 5 in math as quickly as we can.  The district as adopted a district-wide scope and sequence for math.  We are supposed to be on the same page with the other schools in the district.  We are a little bit behind so we are catching up--that is why you might have noticed that we have had homework every night in math.  I do think the my students are getting the hang of related facts so I don't feel like I am jeopardizing their understanding of the the concept by moving through this chapter as quickly as we can.  I plan to finish up by next Monday, and start testing on Chapter 5 next Tuesday.  We will start right in on Chapter 6 next Tuesday, if all goes as planned:)

Today we started our unit on Water.  Today we discussed that "water is everywhere" and discussed the many uses of water.  We will do an art/writing activity based on this topic.  We will then move into the Water Cycle.  Remember that we will be doing a little readers theater on the Water Cycle.  I will send home parts for that reader's theater at the end of this week.  We will be performing the reader's theater during Curriculum Night on January 29 at 6:00.  Please let me know if your child will not be able to make it that night (thanks to those that have already informed me). 

This Thursday we will be having our DIBELS assessment at 10:45.  Please have your child here that day, unless they are sick of course.  I will send home results from that test as soon as they are made available to me.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment