Monday, January 26, 2015

Newsletter January 26 - 30

Remember that this Thursday, is Curriculum Night as well as the PTA sponsored Multicultural Night from 6:00 - 7:00.  You can come and visit our classroom anytime during the hour and enjoy the multicultural displays and performances the rest of the time.  It is an open house, and I will be handing out DIBELS scores that night and can explain them if necessary.  If you cannot make it I will send those results home.  I hope to see many of you with your wonderful children and families that night.

Dads and Donuts is coming up on Feb. 6.  This is an opportunity for Dads/uncles/ big brothers etc. to bring their child to school for a doughnut and some reading before school starts.  It will begin at 8:00 am. and if you have to leave your child before 8:30 am. they can stay in the lunchroom before coming down to our classroom.

We are now working on Unit 6 in math.  This is a unit mostly about counting patterns and place value.  Most of you received Unit 5 test back.  Let me remind you how I grade math tests.  I mark the answers that are wrong, and then have my wonderful high school helper, Miss Marinn help the students "correct" the answers they missed.  Your student will come home with a test that looks like they should have received 100%.  If the test has been corrected it will say, "corrected by and the date" so you will know that it has been fixed. I still keep the original score for grades, but I feel that this immediate self-correction with help is valuable in helping my students understand why they missed a particular problem.

I sent home our 100 day homework activity last Friday.  It will be due by this Thursday, January 29 (100th day of school). If you have any questions about this activity please contact me through e-mail or note, or phone call :)  Next week, I will send home the requirements for our 100-book challenge.  Watch for that note to come home with your child.

Happy Reading!!! (and don't forget sight word practice)


No comments:

Post a Comment