Monday, September 21, 2015

Newsletter September 21 - 25

Next week is SEP week (parent teacher conferences).  I sent home an appointment time today.  It is on green paper.  Please let me know if you will be able to make your appointed time ASAP (tomorrow would be great).  If you can't make the time please put another time or day that will work and I will try and accommodate that for you.  The best way to reschedule is through e-mail, but I will or course take a phone call or note to reschedule.  I look forward to meeting with all of you next week.  School will dismiss everyday next day at 2:30 p.m. including Wednesday.

Our first math test last was week.  Most of my students did very well.  If you child misses any problems I will have my daughter, Miss Katelyn, help with test corrections.  If your child's test is scored below 100% and it looks like they got every question correct, that is because Katelyn helped them figure out why they missed the answer and then they will correct it on the test sheet.  I do not change their score for the test.

Most of you are reading your take-home books with your child every night three times.  Thank you so much for that extra effort.  If a child doesn't read their book I  try to have a reading aide listen to them read the book  the following day , but some days I do not have an extra set of hands so your child will possibly miss recess to read it (or another similar book on their level).  If I cannot get to it your child will miss their 5 points for the day.  That will add up, but most importantly your child will not be getting the extra reading they need in order to become a more fluent reader.  I appreciate your help with this, I know it takes effort and sometimes prodding.  Just last night my son who is much older than a first grader said, "I hate the person that invented reading!" So, I understand how sometimes reading every night can be difficult, but I so appreciate your help and consistency.  It will pay off!!

I have had a couple of students turn in their yellow slips in order to "pass off" their sight words.  Please practice the sight word lists I sent home every night with your child also.  You don't have to spend more than a couple of minutes practicing the sight words, but making them automatic is helpful, even if it's just a couple of words a night.  When your child is ready to pass off a particular list of words, just send back the yellow slip signed and I will send them  another list.

I just received our school pictures in my box.  I will send those home tomorrow.  If you would like your child's picture retaken, that date will be October 9.

Happy Reading!!




No comments:

Post a Comment