Monday, September 14, 2015

Newsletter September 14 - 18

Today we started with the Take-Home library books.  This year I am going to require that the take-home book be read every night three times.  In the bag today I sent a detailed note explaining how I would like you to help out with this opportunity to read with your child.  If you have any questions please send me an e-mail and I will be happy to help answer any questions or concerns.

I also sent home sight words and phrases today in your child's homework folder.  I didn't get a chance to explain to my students about these words, but I did also include a note along with the words and phrases explaining it to you.  I will explain it to the kids tomorrow.  Include sight word practice in your 15 minutes of  nightly reading time.  This helps with your child's accuracy and speed in reading immensely.

Today the homework packet for Math Chapter 1 was due.  If you didn't help your child  remember to turn it in today, please help them remember and get it turned in ASAP.  I will be sending home a packet for Chapter 2 this Thursday along with a schedule of the lessons and a due date. 

The Scholastic book order that I sent home last week is due tomorrow, September 15.  You can order online or send in the order with one check made out to Scholastic.

The PTA reminded us at our last assembly that the end of the quarter is coming up.  We are about half-way through.  They are having a contest for Box Tops.  The class that collects the most Box Tops by the end of the quarter will receive a root beer float party.  You can find "box tops" on a variety of food items (cereal, granola bars, Gogurts etc.)--just cut them out and return them to our classroom to help our school.

With the end of the quarter around the corner, I wanted to give you a heads up about SEP conferences.  Those conferences will be held the last week of September--September 28 - October 2.  I will schedule 15 minute conferences and will accommodate siblings so that you will not have to come to the school more than one day.  Watch for a note to come home in the next week or two with your scheduled appointment time.  School that week will dismiss at 2:30 everyday including Wednesday. 

Tomorrow we will start reading groups and reading intervention groups.  I have tried to inform you by e-mail if your child will be attending a reading intervention group along with the reading instruction that occurs in our classroom.  Thank you to those that have volunteered to help with reading in our classroom.  If you would like to help and didn't sign up and Back to School night you are more than welcome to start helping.  Just let me know and we can figure the best day and time for you to help out. 

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment