Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Newsletter October 5 - October 9

The north parking lot, parent pick-up spot is up and running.  If you pick up your child from school please use this new spot to pick up your child.  It is very efficient and much safer for your child.  Please do not pick up your child on 200 East by the buses or use the South parking lot back by the kindergarten doors. If you would like me to walk your child to this new pick-up spot I would be happy to do that for the first couple of days.  Let me know and I will have your child there after school.  Thank you for changing and helping to create a more efficient and safe pick-up spot for our children.

Today we made our "apple head" witches.  They are "wrinkling" up now on our windowsill.  If you did not send an apple and would like to send 50 cents to cover the extra apples I supplied that would be great.  Thanks to all those who sent apples!

Tomorrow we will start Unit 3 in math.  This chapter will concentrate on a variety of addition strategies.  I was pleased with the results from our Chapter 2 math test.  Watch for that test to come home with your child.  Remember that I have my daughter help with test corrections so that each student will realize why they missed a particular problem.  It will look like your child got 100% on the test, but actually they just corrected their mistakes.  I keep the score that they originally got as their grade.  Watch for the Chapter 3 Math Homework packet.  It will come home on Thursday and will be due on Thursday, November 5.

I hope with the time off from math homework that you are taking advantage of those extra minutes and reading more diligently with your child and helping them practice their sight words.  I will test all students on Sight Word List #1 on October 13th.  The October Scholastic book order that I sent home on Monday will also be due that day.  Most of you are making sure that your child is rereading their take-home books three times each night.  Thank you!! Please help your child with this every night if you have neglected this frequently. 

More reading information:  The PTA reading calendar (pink sheet) is due by the  this Friday, October 10th. Those kids that reach the reading goal will receive a small prize from the PTA.  I have asked them to modify that goal for our class since I only expect 15 minutes of reading each school night.  That reading calendar is also worth 50 points in my class and I will send it home with a certificate and a little treat.  I will not give a certificate and little treat after Friday.

Halloween is just around the corner.  Last year was the first time that East Elementary has had a costume parade.  It was so much fun.  Details about that and Red Ribbon week which will be held during the week of Halloween will be upcoming.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment