Tuesday, May 3, 2016

May 2 - May 6

I can't believe that I just wrote MAY!  I am  so excited as I see the progress that my students have made.  Today I noticed, as morning work was being completed, how easy it was for most students to read the directions themselves and complete the assignment.  That's one plus about teaching first grade--the growth is so noticeable! Thank you for the  notes that I have received at the start of Teacher Appreciation Week (that isn't a hint).  I love teaching and appreciate all of your sweet children.

Here are this week's happenings:
  • The April PTA reading calendar is now due!  I will give out certificates and a small treat for those that have that calendar returned by this Friday, May 6.  After that, I will still give credit for reading, but the certificate and treat will not be attached. The May calendar has been sent home.  It will be due on May 20. 
  • We are cruising through Chapter 11 in math about 3-dimensional shapes.  The math packet for Chapter 11 will be due next Monday, May 9 and we will test that same day.  Chapter 11 will be our last math packet homework of the year.  We will work through Chapter 12 until the last week of school.  I want all work to be turned in by May 20 so I will use the math homework sheets as morning work instead of sending the packet home for homework. Yes, you are welcome!
  • The last day for take-home library books will be May 13.  Please return all books by then, or pay the lost fee of $5.00 to Mrs. Scholes in the office.  That means that we have two more weeks of take-home books counting towards your child's grade.  Remember that each day of reading counts for 5 points. 
  • The last day for Library books is Thursday, May 19.  I sent home yellow late notices yesterday.  Please help your child find their missing books or pay the fine by May 19.  All students that have returned both of their library books or paid the appropriate fine will be able to pick out a free book from Mrs. Clark, our librarian, on our library day (again May 19).  
  • If you want to order Scholastic books (I sent home a packet of fliers last week) please do so by tomorrow, May 4.  
  • I haven't received all of our field trip permission slips back yet.  I asked for those to be returned by April 29 so that I could get a lunch count to our lunch manager.  If your child hasn't returned their slip yet, I counted them as ordering a school lunch.  Thanks to those that sent the money along with your permission slip.  We need to pay the swimming pool and the carousel fee before we go so that money needs to be turned in by May 13.  I have 5 helpers for swimming (that is enough), but I still need two more helpers to go with us to St. George for the Children's museum trip on May 24.  Please consider helping us and send me an e-mail. If you want to still go swimming we will take any that want to help.  Thank you!!!
  • We having spelling words this week.  Those new words were sent home yesterday (Monday) and the test will be this Friday.
  • We are continuing our study on Animal Habitats.  I think the "favorites" so far have been the Arctic Tundra and Ocean and the Amazon Rainforest.  We will finish that Unit this week and move onto "A New Nation: American Independence" for the remainder of May.
  • Our final DIBELS test is this Thursday.  Please help your child perform their best by helping them get a good nights sleep.  If they are sick, please keep them home as there is a make-up week for just that eventuality.  
Happy Reading!! We have 17 more days until the 100-book Challenge is complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment