Monday, September 12, 2016

Newsletter September 12 - September 16

Our take-home library books started today!  I sent a note home in the bag about the procedure for these books.  Remember that reading these books will count for 5 points each day!  I also sent home a note about our "Sight Word Soldiers" program and the sight word list that your child can work on.  If you have any questions about either of these two "new" things please don't hesitate to contact me. 

We have run out of September snacks.  I only had about half of you sign up for snacks.  It's still helpful through September to have a little snack in the morning as we continue to acclimate to a full-day of school.  If you would like to help by bringing a snack, if you haven't already (or forgot), or if you would like to help by sending another snack, please contact me privately and I will give you a date.  Thanks!!!

Today we started a new Unit on the Human Body.  We will learn about the different body systems (circulatory, nervous, muscular, skeletal, and digestive) that keep us "alive and healthy".  Miss Montoya our student teacher has also begun teaching our unit on Subtraction concepts.  I will send home the results of our first Math Test (addition concepts) tomorrow.  Sorry about all of the different "scores".  I had a helper correct them and I wasn't clear with my instructions. 

Tomorrow we will start reading groups.  I sent an e-mail to inform you if your child will be attending a reading intervention group.  This year we are lucky, as many of my students go to these small group interventions because of our lower class size.  We will also start switching with Mrs. Rieff during our literacy block.  We mix up the students to better meet their needs as we read the books that accompany our literacy program (CKLA).  The reading intervention groups or "special groups" as I call them are from 9:45-10:30 everyday except on Wednesday.  We will switch around with Mrs. Rieff from 10:30-11:10 everyday and then take a break a little bit later than usual. Our morning is full of rich literacy activities.

The PTA reading minutes bookmark is due whenever your child fills it up. They will return it for another one.  I will start keeping one for them here in class too so that they can earn the highest "Eagle award" if they desire.  Remember to earn that highest award students would have to read 25 minutes daily all year.  If you read with your child for 10 minutes a night, I will supplement that with 15 minutes in school.  

Happy Reading!!




No comments:

Post a Comment