Monday, September 19, 2016

Newsletter September 19 - September 23

We have completed one week with take-home books and one week of "Sight Word Soldiers".  I have had several students pass off several sight word lists already.  I love that many of my students are wearing a sight word soldier necklace everyday!  Thanks for helping them at home with this!  Thank you also for "reading" the take-home book with your child every night, three times (they should be reading it, hence the "reading").  I have just a few that are not returning this book daily!  Please start the habit of reading every night with your child if you haven't yet.  This is their homework and also helps so much with their reading acquisition.  If you have any questions about their books, their level, or the importance of reading at home please don't hesitate to contact me.

We are almost finished with September!  Crazy! SEP (parent teacher conferences) are the first week of October.  I will send home an assigned time next week.  Watch for it on Monday.  We try to coordinate appointments with siblings in the school so that you only have to come once during the week.  School will dismiss everyday that week at 2:30 including Wednesday.  I look forward to visiting with you about your child.

Today we (Miss Montoya taught us) about the muscular system.  We made a model of a hand, representing the bones, tendons, and muscles working together to create movement.  The kids loved the project.  I hope that they showed it to you when they got home from school.  A few students need to make some repairs on their "hand" and they'll bring the project home tomorrow.  I love our reading program!  It assumes that first graders can digest complex information.  Today we not only learned about the muscular system but we also learned about "voluntary" and "involuntary" muscles, how many muscles our body has, and what the biggest muscle in our body is (ask your child :)).

Congratulations to my readers that have already started to earn their PTA Eagle awards!  Logan, Emma, Owen, Nakoa, and Jay (I hope I've remembered right, I'm at home and don't have my records right in front of me), have all started towards the Gold Eagle award!  If I've missed somebody I'll congratulate them next week!

I hope that you read the letter from our PE teacher, Mrs. Turek.  We are  still working on our behavior and I will support her if students are not following her rules in PE.  They will stay in my classroom and work (write an apology letter among other things), or they will go to Skills and do that.  Remember that we have PE/Computers every Tuesday and Friday.  Please make sure that your child wears proper shoes for PE.

I'm still working on the problem on the Scholastic website so that I can send home book orders.  I may not get them out this month.  It is the weirdest thing--I've used that site successfully for years.

If you haven't sent back your "Starving Student card" please do so ASAP!  The cards either need to be paid for or money needs to be sent back to pay for it.  I have most back, but a few of you haven't returned your card.  The company will call those that haven't returned their cards.

Lastly, please let me know if you are not receiving e-mails from Mr. Moyle.  He sends a newsletter, announcements from school, and the PTA also sends a newsletter using his e-mail list.  You can message me privately, and I will get him the corrected e-mail address if necessary.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment