Monday, October 17, 2016

Newsletter October 17 - October 21

Tomorrow is the first grade awards presentation at 3:00 in the cafeteria.  I just sent personal e-mails to those who have students that will be receiving an award.  The awards are for Perfect Attendance, Excellent Attendance, Catch the Vision, Most Improved, and Eagle reading awards.

We finished up with Chapter 3 of math today and will take the test for Unit 3 tomorrow.  We will start chapter 4 (Subtraction strategies) on Wednesday.

Today in your child's folder there is a "Take-Home" (10.2) activity from our reading program.  I don't ever require these as homework, but this particular one is beneficial as it is a good review of what we have been learning in class about the long vowel sounds (silent e rule).  If you choose to have your child do that sheet you can forgo rereading the take-home book three times, just read it once and count the worksheet as part of their nightly take-home reading.

We have PE and Computers every Tuesday and Friday.  Last Friday, there was a substitute in PE and as our class came back I was informed that they were "terrible" for the PE teacher.  As a consequence, tomorrow my class will not be going to PE.  We will instead work in class on writing about "what we should be doing in PE".  I know that not "every" student was acting up, but this time because of the blanket statement I will keep my whole class.  If an individual student or group of students are acting inappropriately in PE or computers they will individually or collectively stay in the Skills room the next PE period.  I will inform you if your child has been asked to stay back from PE or Computers.  Please talk to your children about best behavior during PE and Computers.

I sent home information about the PTA walk-a-thon this Friday from 2:00-3:00.  Your child can and will still participate in the walk-a-thon, even if donations are not sent back, but this is a great way to help earn extra money for our school.  Please send back the donations in the envelope provided by this Friday.

I still have not received notice from the Scholastic website technicians about why I can't access the site.  I was informed that I would hear back in 3-5 days and it's been at least double that.  I hope to send home Scholastic book orders soon!

It's almost Halloween and we will again have a Halloween costume parade.  I love that we do this at East Elementary!  Students can wear their costumes all day long (no masks).  The parade will be from 2:30 until about 2:50. Parents can sit in the cafeteria to take pictures.  After the parade we will have a school-wide Halloween sing in the gym.  The sing is just for students though, we can't accommodate that many bodies in the gym at once.

Remember that next Monday, October 24 is Harvest Holiday.  Have a wonderful three-day weekend!

Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment