Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Newsletter September 11 - September 15

Yesterday, as you may have already been told I had a substitute in the afternoon, so my newsletter for the week is a bit late. 

Here are this week's happenings:
  • Remember that tomorrow the Scholastic book orders are due.  The best way to order is online using our classroom code. Wednesday is also Sight Word Soldiers Day and library.  Please remember to send your sight word notes back and library books.
  • Most of you are making sure that your child reads their take-home book every night.  Thanks!  Remember that I only expect 10 minutes of reading a night and this will greatly benefit your child's reading ability.  Practice makes perfect! If you haven't been asking about this every night please recommit yourself to listening to your child read every day.  I included a note about my expectations in the take-home bag.  If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. 
  • Some students bring extra school supply items from home that weren't included on their list of suggested supplies.  If you child comes home with one of those "extra supplies" such as small pencil sharpeners it's because they have been playing with it instead of using it appropriately.  I don't encourage those pencil sharpeners as they usually become a "toy" and make messes on the floor.
  • Today reading group started.  I notified those through e-mail if your child would be attending a reading intervention group.  In our reading program, we are working on identifying vowel sounds and spellings, learning about nouns and ending punctuation.  We have also learned about possessives (Nat's cat).  My kids are so excited to point out apostrophes in text as we read.  Though most still don't have the word "apostrophe" correct yet :). We'll get their though. 
  • We have started our Human body unit.  Today we learned about the skeletal system (supports and protects vital organs).  Ask your child if they remember how many bones the human body has (206).
  • In math we will take our unit 1 test this Thursday and then start on Subtraction concepts for the next couple of weeks.
  • The first week of October is SEP week.  I will send home scheduled times in the next week or so (I know it's crazy that it's mid-September already).  We try our best to coordinate times with siblings in other classes.  Watch for that (I will let you know the exact day that I send it home though).
I need to run and grab my son from basketball, so I hope I didn't forget anything.  Forgive my typos :).  as this as a quickly typed newsletter.  I sure love my class this year--they truly are wonderful kids!

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment