Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Newsletter September 18 - September 22

Two weeks in a row with a Tuesday newsletter.  It's been "one of those weeks" twice.

Here are this week's happenings:
  • We took our Unit 1 math test last week and for the most part my students understand addition concepts through 10. Watch for your child's math test to come home in their homework folder. We have moved onto subtraction concepts.  It's been a shift in thinking to subtract numbers rather than add them together.  Today we modeled "taking apart" numbers.   For example:  "John had 8 marbles, four of those marbles are red, the rest are yellow--How many marbles are yellow?"  We modeled that with two-sided counters and then wrote subtraction sentences (8 - 4 = 4).  
  • In reading, we are finishing up with our first unit also.  Our next unit with focus on vowel teams (ee, ai, etc.) The books that supplement our learning focus on this "new" patterns.
  • We have a new student in our class, Adrian.  He comes to us from North Elementary.  He's been warmly received into our classroom.  My students are great friends.
  • Elizabeth is our first official Star of the Week this week.  On Monday, we learned more about her as she shared her poster.  Today we read her favorite book "Finding Winnie" an award winning true story that I wasn't aware of and hadn't read the book before.  It was a great one!  We will also add some special writing about Elizabeth as we complete her "Important page". I will send home information about being Star of the Week the week before it's your child's turn.  I also sent home a schedule a couple of week's ago.
  • October 2-6 is SEP (parent/teacher conferences). I will send home an assigned time next Monday.  I will do my best to coordinate with siblings.  With dual immersion and with the 4th and 5th grades having an initial open house type conference I may not be able to schedule all of my appointments back to back with siblings.  I look forward to meeting with all of you.
  • Keep reading for 10 minutes each night with your child.  Thanks for keeping up with that and sending back your child's take-home book everyday!  I have said this before and will say it over and over--it really is helpful to make reading a habit and it helps your child become a better reader.  
  • Sight word soldiers (sight word pass off) is every Wednesday.  I have had some who haven't ever returned a list.  Please do this--it's fun for my students to earn beads for their necklaces but it's also important to help with their reading fluency (rate and accuracy).  Last week, I had Mrs. Harris send home lists with those who haven't sent one back so please look for those in your child's folder.  If you need another one please send me an e-mail and I will send another one home.
Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns and Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment