Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Newsletter September 5 - September 8

I hope that you all enjoyed your three-day Labor Day weekend.  I know I did. 

Here are this week's happenings:
  • Tomorrow (Wednesday) our Take-Home books (book in a bag) will start coming home.  I have included a note in the bag that will help you understand how to use these and what I expect.  If you have any questions about those books please feel free to contact me.  TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE BOOKS--BOOKS ON YOUR CHILD'S READING LEVEL. Be careful not to lose them as their is a replacement fee associated with lost books.
  • Tomorrow also is our Sight Word Soldiers "pass off" day.  Please send your child's blue slip back on Wednesday's so that they can earn beads for their necklaces.  If you child does not pass off the whole list it will be returned with the words that they need to work on.  Don't stop there--send it back it and help your child to get moving through these lists.  I can't just "pass them" off if they don't read the words automatically. 
  • Fall pictures will be this Friday.  All students will have their picture taken regardless if money is sent with them.  You can send back the envelope with your child's order by Friday or I believe you can order online also.  
  • Please make sure your child's August reading calendar is turned in.  I award each child that turns one in with a little treat and a certificate.  I will not accept calendars after this Friday for a treat/certificate.  September calendars were sent home on September 1.  The take-home library books will help with the ten minutes of reading each night.
  • I send home graded work with a score on it, but I have a high school volunteer and now some SUU students who are here for a class assignment and they help with corrections.  If you child's paper comes home and it looks like they got 100% but their score does not reflect that, corrections have been made.  I keep the original score, but love that with volunteers this year my students can get almost immediate feedback on the mistakes they are making. 
  • This week I will send home Scholastic reading orders.  These are optional, but all those that order help our class earn "free books".  These orders will be due next Wednesday, September 13.  The best and easiest way to order is using our online code (included with the orders on the letter attached), but you can also send back the order form with payment by Sept. 13.
  • With 15 kids I am going to implement my "Star of the Week" program.  Each student will have a week where they can "shine" in my classroom.  I will send home a schedule of when your child will be "Star of the Week" and then give you the materials the week before their assigned time.  Watch for the schedule to come home this week. 
  • As far as curriculum, this week we will finish up our Fables and Folktakes Unit.  Today we read about the trickster spider Anansi (an African folktale).  That was our last folktale to read in this unit.  As a culmination, my students will divide into groups and create a poster about their "favorite folktale".  They will include on that poster the story elements of "plot, setting" and the main characters".  They will as a group share these posters with the class. In math we are still learning about addition concepts.  Today we learned about the different ways to make a number for example:  "To make 5" we can add 0 + 5, 1 + 4, 2 + 3, 3 + 2, 4 + 1, and 5 + 0.  So far, I am pleased with the knowledge my students have carried with them from kindergarten.  They for the most part, are quickly understanding these addition concepts.  In reading we are still reviewing sounds and spellings for those sounds.  Today we reviewed or learned for some the /ch/ and /sh/ spellings and sounds.  Ask your child what we drew on our hands with pen today to help us remember those sounds and spellings :). We are also learning about nouns as these are words that name "a person or a thing" (we will add "place" later).  We will start constructing complete sentences (capital, punctuation, complete thoughts) in the next few weeks (this is a year long process as we  first learn to write sentences which then translate into paragraphs). 
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment